Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone with no article paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Looking at system builds (Ubuntu - multi-purpose)
jsheedy 23 Feb
Think this would be the correct area for this, if not it can be deleted or moved. thanks.

I was looking to build the following system, albeit with a new GPU at a later date when/if prices fall to a reasonable amount.

I do use Steam and will semi-frequently play both newer and older titles. I have been purchasing games since the days of lokigames, but will use this system for other things such as standing up VMs(virtualbox), development, and just a typical daily workstation.

The following is the system that will be replaced.

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Brand: AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G
CPU Family: 0x15
CPU Model: 0x30
CPU Stepping: 0x1
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 3700 Mhz
4 logical processors
4 physical processors

Operating System Version:
Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (64 bit)
Kernel Name: Linux
Kernel Version: 5.4.0-65-generic
X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
X Server Release: 12009000
X Window Manager: GNOME Shell
Steam Runtime Version: steam-runtime_0.20201203.1

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Driver Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.102.04
OpenGL Version: 4.6
Number of Monitors: 2

Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 4096 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x 16x

Memory:
RAM: 16027 Mb

Projected new system
So I was just looking at suggestions on the projected build below. Good and bad of items selected, and possible changes.

I have changed it a bit and have decided to move toward a Ryzen 7 in lieu of a 5. Smaller SSD (boot) and a move towards a mechanical drive as larger (data & VMs) drive

Updated New Egg System Build

Last edited by jsheedy on 26 February 2021 at 8:16 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.