Join us on the Linux Gaming community on Lemmy, the federated open source alternative to Reddit.
Which CPU should i get?
So first i planned to buy the Ryzen 7 5800x but i saw few Videos and such where it says that the 5800x runs very hot. So i thought okay maybe i'm not taking that one then. Then i thought about the Ryzen 9 3900x but the performance seems (at least gaming wise) not that great in comparison. And finally the Intel Core i9 10900k which seems to be (again at least gaming wise) way better than the 3900x and head to head with the 5800x. Which one would you guys recommend? For reference all 3 CPU's are around the same price with just little difference (3900x 400€ , 5800x 440€ , 10900k 470€). Normally i wouldnt even ask since obviously the 5800x would be the choice but since it seems that for some reason the 5800x gets a lot hotter than other Ryzens (5600, 5900, 5950) i thought its better to skip that one. So for now i think i might go with the Intel one but i want feedback from you guys aswell.

Thanks in advance for any answer!
Xpander 8 Mar
Hot doesn't mean its powerhungry. Its all about the boost clocks these days. I would still go with 5800X if the prices are the same.

Gaming perf doesn't really matter depending what GPU you have and what resolutions you play on. If you have midrange or older gen high end and playing at 1440p, then CPU doesn't make any difference anyway.
IF you ofc have High end GPU then you probably play 1440p or 4K anyway, so, again in most cases CPU doesn't make difference.

but yeah its all up to you ofc, i wouldnt buy intel one though..the other choices are solid both.
Quoting: XpanderHot doesn't mean its powerhungry. Its all about the boost clocks these days. I would still go with 5800X if the prices are the same.

Gaming perf doesn't really matter depending what GPU you have and what resolutions you play on. If you have midrange or older gen high end and playing at 1440p, then CPU doesn't make any difference anyway.
IF you ofc have High end GPU then you probably play 1440p or 4K anyway, so, again in most cases CPU doesn't make difference.

but yeah its all up to you ofc, i wouldnt buy intel one though..the other choices are solid both.

My only concerns with with the 5800x is that since it seems to get "hot" i'm a bit scared that it might kill itself in summer when the Temps are really hot. So i would still be good with an 5800x? I mean i read a lot that its only "good" when you use water cooling. But i would only use "normal" cooling solutions. Thats why i'm undecided about the 5800x since i dont like the idea of buying a 450€ CPU just to have it for a few months before it dies of heat issues.
x_wing 8 Mar
You may want to define "hot". Without the proper cooling, a 10700k or 10900k will run hot as well.

In my case, 5900X gets up to 72°C at full load and it idles at 45°C with air cooling (ID-Cooling SE-224-XT) on 26-28°C environment temp (summer time for me).
Quoting: x_wingYou may want to define "hot". Without the proper cooling, a 10700k or 10900k will run hot as well.

In my case, 5900X gets up to 72°C at full load and it idles at 45°C with air cooling (ID-Cooling SE-224-XT) on 26-28°C environment temp (summer time for me).

Well i can only tell from the Videos and other Reviews but they say stuff like around 80°C under full load and idle at around 60°C . And many of them say stuff like either need Water Cooling or you have to Undervolt the CPU to get it cooler.
x_wing 8 Mar
Quoting: TimeFreezeWell i can only tell from the Videos and other Reviews but they say stuff like around 80°C under full load and idle at around 60°C . And many of them say stuff like either need Water Cooling or you have to Undervolt the CPU to get it cooler.

As I don't have a 5800X, I cannot give you any number for it. But if by reviews we move, the 10900k is always tested with AIO solutions (less than that and you end up with throttling).

Your only purpose for the CPU is gaming? If so, why do you want an 8/10 cores CPU?
Got a 5800X running on Wraith Prism air cooler, idle sits around 43-46 degrees and never saw it go higher than (rough estimate) 67 degrees even during a kernel compile which takes about 7 minutes on all 16 threads.

In games it mostly hovers around 60 degrees, since they use the gpu mostly.

I did reduce the voltage very slightly to improve thermals, didn't do any miracles, probably shaved around 2 degrees and I didn't run into any stability issues. Will edit post with screenshot of the actual values once I get a chance.

I always aim for a 70 deg max on cpu. I don't like anything beyond that.

From an owner's point of view, this cpu is overkill for gaming, a 5600X would get you similar results. I chose 5800X solely due to code compile.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams