Terraria problems (GOG)
Pangaea Apr 3, 2021
Bought Terraria today, thinking it might be fun with a sandbox type game. It wasn't even on sale!

However, I'm having several problems. First it didn't launch after installing it. Found a solution to that on the GOG forum. The chaps at GOG have an error in the start.sh file, but after I removed the ".exe" it started up. But in a tiny window. Changed default settings from 800x600 to my native resolution of 1920x1080. Now it was possible to start a game at least. But the UI is tiny, so very tiny. And after playing for a few minutes, it turns out the mouse cursor can't reach roughly the right half of the screen. Hard to see what's going on there due to the small size, but seems like the crafting menu is over there somewhere, which I need to access to get anything done.

Sent a support ticket about this to GOG, but have only gotten a couple of automated replies, letting me know it will take several weeks. That has been the case before with them too, before Covid, so I'm not very impressed about blaming stuff on that. Seems like their support has taken a nosedive too. They have been going in the wrong direction for many years now

With 35+ million sold, I suppose there is a decent chance somebody else has the game.. Have you run into the same problems, and how was it solved?

Last edited by Pangaea on 3 April 2021 at 7:04 pm UTC
Pangaea Apr 4, 2021
This has me confused now. Last few times I've launched the game, it has worked, and the resolution has stopped going haywire. The logo in the startup fills the screen too, which it didn't before. Used to be in the top left quarter roughly. Haven't changed anything myself, so who knows what is going on, but at least it has been playable now, and I got in a few hours yesterday evening.

edit: Also found a way to increase the UI. Couldn't be done in settings without starting a save apparently, but once in a game, it was possible to change UI ratio. Very hard to actually see the option, but squinting real hard, I could read it. When at 200%, it's possible to play with it now, so that's great. The mouse reaches the right half of the screen too. Let's hope it lasts.

Last edited by Pangaea on 4 April 2021 at 10:03 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.