Join us on the Linux Gaming community on Lemmy, the federated open source alternative to Reddit.
Does the 8BitDo SN30 Pro work on linux?
TimeFreeze 26 May
So first off dont know if this is the correct Category to ask if not sorry.

Now: If i could guess i would assume that it works under linux. But since its not stated on their site i rather ask here before i buy it. Maybe someone owns one of those or knows if its supported via kernel or sdl or both already and such. Its this controller again i'm asking about. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TimeFreeze on 26 May 2021 at 4:56 pm UTC
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Liam Dawe 26 May
Yes! We have the SN30 PRO USB version and it's fine.

The controls are a bit backwards though, some games get a little confusing with it as it's a Nintendo layout.

Edit: moved post to the Hardware forum.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 26 May 2021 at 4:54 pm UTC
TimeFreeze 26 May
Quoting: Liam DaweYes! We have the SN30 PRO USB version and it's fine.

The controls are a bit backwards though, some games get a little confusing with it as it's a Nintendo layout.

Edit: moved post to the Hardware forum.

Awesome! Thanks, now i know which controller i'm gonna order in a few days.
tuubi 26 May
Quoting: Liam DaweYes! We have the SN30 PRO USB version and it's fine.

I got the black version of the NS30 Pro+ (pretty much a more ergonomic version of the same controller with handles and nicer triggers), and the etched markings are almost impossible to see so they don't really bother me. :)

It's been working great, both bluetooth and wired. My only niggle compared to my previous Logitech F-710 is that the material makes my hands sweat a lot more for some reason. But maybe that's just me.
It's sightly off topic as it regards a different product, but I've received an 8BitDo arcade stick today, and it's working flawlessly with everything I've tested so far. It uses xinput and gets picked up by stuff as an Xbox 360 controller. I haven't tried connecting to it via bluetooth yet, but it works flawlessly via its included 2.4Ghz dongle.

I've also ordered the new 8BitDo Pro 2 controller, I should receive it within a few weeks (it's shipping from China) and I'll be sure to report here how it works.

Last edited by DoctorJunglist on 26 May 2021 at 10:48 pm UTC
Liam Dawe 27 May
Quoting: tuubiand the etched markings are almost impossible to see so they don't really bother me. :)
Ehhh, it's weird how I can touch-type super fast and accurate - but gamepads? I still need to look at the buttons at times <_<
kokoko3k 28 May
If you see bottom in the page, you read:
Steam/Windows 7 "and Above", so Linux has to supported, of course ^_^

Last edited by kokoko3k on 28 May 2021 at 5:32 pm UTC
AwesamLinux 28 May
Just for the record the new 8BitDo Pro 2 controller also works great on Linux. Just set it to X mode (there is a hardware switch on the underside of the controller, no need to install any software to change modes) and everything just works out of the box on Linux (using Bluetooth or USB)-

Last edited by AwesamLinux on 28 May 2021 at 9:18 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.