Join us on the Linux Gaming community on Lemmy, the federated open source alternative to Reddit.
Which controller should i pick?
Page: 1/4»
  Go to:
TimeFreeze 31 May
So i wanted to buy an 8bitdo one but delivery went troublesome and now well screw that i'm just gonna go to a local shop. So question would be: Xbox? Playstation? Nintendo? Or just pick whatever the hell i want because all of them would be "good"?
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Liam Dawe 31 May
If you want the best supported: Xbox, every time. Too many games just assume that's what you have, lots have zero support for others.

Edit: i picked up a cheapo wired Xbox one from Amazon, it's perfect -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CGSXZ78/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 31 May 2021 at 5:49 pm UTC
I prefer Logitech F310s or F710s but one of my kids bought me a MOGA PowerA XP5X+ wireless XBOX controller and it's good too.
Linas 1 Jun
Xbox 360 controller is really nice

Quoting: Liam DaweI picked up a cheapo wired Xbox one from Amazon, it's perfect
A bit unfortunate wording, because Xbox One is actually something else. You linked to an Xbox 360 controller.

In wired configuration, both Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers work just fine, but in wireless Xbox 360 is better supported (at least used to be). Also they are a different form factor: Xbox 360 controller is slimmer and Xbox One is more chunky. [/pedantry]
Liam Dawe 1 Jun
Quoting: LinasA bit unfortunate wording, because Xbox One is actually something else. You linked to an Xbox 360 controller.
Ugh, yeah, MSFT versioning is crap. Still the linked controller is the one I went with and it's fab, works with everything.
stuff 1 Jun
The d-pad of the 360 Controller is very bad. If you play games that make use of a precise d-pad (shmups, retro games), the 360 controller is a bad choice.
Gooda 1 Jun
I'm thinking about buying Logitech F310 as a cheaper alternative to the Xbox controller.

Sounds good on paper, but I wouldn't mind hearing about other people's positive experiences.
tuubi 1 Jun
Quoting: GoodaI'm thinking about buying Logitech F310 as a cheaper alternative to the Xbox controller.

Sounds good on paper, but I wouldn't mind hearing about other people's positive experiences.
It's a decent controller and compatible with pretty much everything. And so is the wireless big sibling F710.

My only real complaint is the build quality. I've had two Logitech F310s and an F710, and all of them developed similar issues with the left trigger starting to stick after a few months of use. I also had to reattach the cable on my first F310. But seems like others have been using theirs for years, so maybe I'm just unlucky.

My current 8BitDo gamepad (SN30 Pro+) definitely feels a lot more solid, but it's almost double the price of an F310.
Quoting: GoodaI'm thinking about buying Logitech F310 as a cheaper alternative to the Xbox controller.

It's my personal favorite and my go to gamepad. I don't have the issues that others describe but I've had a few different versions of it. The original version had numbers on the buttons that was not the best but it was easier to clean which is part of the reason why I stuck to Logitech. The next version had the colored buttons and the final version has the jeweled version with the XYBA buttons. The last version is the most recent and made of a stronger plastic and it should last you a long time.
sourpuz 1 Jun
I'm using the tried and true XBox 360 Controller (wired). It's always worked flawlessly, on every distribution.
damarrin 1 Jun
I'm using Dualshock 4 controllers. They also work with everything, but a lot of the time you're getting ABXY icons in games.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.