Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone with no article paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Which controller should i pick?
Page: «2/4»
  Go to:
Gooda 1 Jun
Quoting: tuubiIt's a decent controller and compatible with pretty much everything. And so is the wireless big sibling F710.
My only real complaint is the build quality.
Quoting: tuubiBut seems like others have been using theirs for years, so maybe I'm just unlucky.

Quoting: Arcadius-8606It's my personal favorite and my go to gamepad. I don't have the issues that others describe but I've had a few different versions of it.
Quoting: Arcadius-8606The last version is the most recent and made of a stronger plastic and it should last you a long time.

Thanks for your feedback! Very much appreciated!
Julius 2 Jun
I also have a old Logitech F310. Works fine, but layout is more PS like with doesn't work best with what most games on Steam expect (Xbox).

A non-genuine Xbox360 wired gamepad is also cheap and usually works great.

Personal favorite: Steam Controller. Maybe you can get one used?

Last edited by Julius on 2 June 2021 at 1:32 am UTC
damarrin 2 Jun
The Steam Controller is a risky proposition. As far as I can tell it was designed as a k&m replacement and the right touchpad just doesn’t work as well as a traditional analogue stick in games made with a pad in mind. Plus there’s no d-pad.

I use it daily with the steam link and it’s at least nice to move the cursor around the screen. But for actual gaming I use a normal controller.
tuubi 2 Jun
Quoting: JuliusI also have a old Logitech F310. Works fine, but layout is more PS like with doesn't work best with what most games on Steam expect (Xbox).

A non-genuine Xbox360 wired gamepad is also cheap and usually works great.

Personal favorite: Steam Controller. Maybe you can get one used?
I never saw a problem with the Logitech's layout in games. You might see an image of an Xbox controller in a configuration menu or something I guess. Seems insignificant to me.

The only actual difference to the Xbox layout is that the left stick and d-pad are swapped so the sticks are symmetrically placed, and games don't care about that. I do though. The symmetrical layout is better. :P

I've got a Steam controller as well, and never used it beyond a few hours of stubbornly trying to get used to it. I just never got comfortable with the touchpads. I guess my fine motor skills simply aren't that great. It's also the noisiest controller I've got.
Julius 2 Jun
Quoting: tuubiIt's also the noisiest controller I've got
That is a unique feature for force feedback.

Anyways, if you don't like your Steam controller, why not sell it? I bet some people here might want to have one since they are out of stock for good.
Julius 2 Jun
Quoting: damarrinThe Steam Controller is a risky proposition. As far as I can tell it was designed as a k&m replacement and the right touchpad just doesn’t work as well as a traditional analogue stick in games made with a pad in mind. Plus there’s no d-pad.

There are excellent community layouts available for nearly all games. For some games it is clearly superior to a regular controller, on others less so, but it usually works fine.

Only for retro games that really require a d-pad it is not that great, but the analogue stick works fine for moderns side-scrollers etc.
stuff 2 Jun
The Steam controller is my most used controller, I love it. But it has two downsides:
- No (real) d-pad. But the 360 d-pad is so bad, you can't use it for 2d games that require precise input (like shmups). So tie here ;) Actually the analogue stick of the steam controller is very responsive and stiff, it comes kinda close to a d-pad (and is a better "d-pad" than the 360s d-pad in my opinion)
- The analogue triggers have a quite short travel. For racing games I prefer the 360 controller.
Other than these two issues, it's my favourite controller. For games that require kinda precise aim, like Tomb Raider and the likes it is vastly superior to a standard 360 like controller. Heck, if you want to play 1st person shooters with it, it works surprisingly well, if you get used to it.
But the Steam controller seems to be a love it or hate it thing - I love it ;)
tuubi 2 Jun
Quoting: Julius
Quoting: tuubiIt's also the noisiest controller I've got
That is a unique feature for force feedback.
I always disable force feedback on gamepads. Always felt like a weird gimmick. I mostly meant the noise from the paddles, bumpers and touchpad clicks.

Quoting: JuliusAnyways, if you don't like your Steam controller, why not sell it? I bet some people here might want to have one since they are out of stock for good.
I'll probably keep it as a backup. I got it from a friend anyway.
kokoko3k 2 Jun
Quoting: Liam DaweIf you want the best supported: Xbox, every time. Too many games just assume that's what you have, lots have zero support for others.

Edit: i picked up a cheapo wired Xbox one from Amazon, it's perfect -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CGSXZ78/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Every cheap xbox controller i tried suffered from poor analog stick in the sense that they reach the maximum value when the stick is about at half of his maximum position, can't be fixed with calibration.
Is this better?
damarrin 2 Jun
All of which makes the DS4 the best one. Good d-pad, regular analogue sticks, good triggers, touchpad for moving the mouse cursor on the desktop.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.