Join us on the Linux Gaming community on Lemmy, the federated open source alternative to Reddit.
Which controller should i pick?
Page: «3/4»
  Go to:
denyasis 4 Jun
Quoting: Liam DaweIf you want the best supported: Xbox, every time. Too many games just assume that's what you have, lots have zero support for others.

Edit: i picked up a cheapo wired Xbox one from Amazon, it's perfect -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CGSXZ78/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stupid question. Any experience with the wireless version? I ask as I think I have an old wireless Xbox 360 controller somewhere. Possibly the Xbox it came with too. Never played on it, just used the whole thing as a DVD player.

Or do you need like a particular "PC" version? I'm assuming the wireless connection is just standard Bluetooth right?
Steam controller gets my vote. Just gives so many customization options. Though I can understand if you don't want to adapt to it's unique scheme.
Quoting: denyasisStupid question. Any experience with the wireless version? I ask as I think I have an old wireless Xbox 360 controller somewhere. Possibly the Xbox it came with too. Never played on it, just used the whole thing as a DVD player.

Or do you need like a particular "PC" version? I'm assuming the wireless connection is just standard Bluetooth right?
I think you'll need a special Xbox 360 PC wireless dongle to use the Xbox 360 controller wirelessly on PC.

I'm not totally sure about that tho, so make sure you do some research before making a purchase.
damarrin 5 Jun
X360 controllers (can) come with a dongle for PC. It works very well as far as I can tell.

The DS4 will work via USB cable (micro) or through Bluetooth. Press PS+Share for a bit to start pairing mode (flashing light) and off you go.
denyasis 5 Jun
Thanks!
I'll have to do some digging to see if I can scene it up and do some more testing and research.

I have a Steam Controller and I like it, for what it can do. It fits very well in my hands and it's very comfortable to use. When it works, it's ok, My problem with it is that it struggles hard to work with a lot of games. Like just getting the buttons and controls to work can take up a good chunk of your gaming session.

On top of that, while I'm not a FPS person, when I've tried with the Steam controller, it's... Not a great experience. I think it's the default of using the touchpad of for aim. Because everyone loves using the touchpad on a laptop for fast, responsive gaming, let's use it on a controller! (This is sarcasm).

It's great for some games. Supertux cart, hollow knight. I even played point and click with it. (Machiniarium). I'm playing Wasteland 2 right now and might try it tonight it since it's slow paced and mouse driven.
MrAnon57 6 Jun
If you're playing games through steam I'd say PS5 controller, feels great and has a touchpad for when you need a mouse, it's what I use
stuff 6 Jun
Quoting: denyasisThanks!
On top of that, while I'm not a FPS person, when I've tried with the Steam controller, it's... Not a great experience. I think it's the default of using the touchpad of for aim. Because everyone loves using the touchpad on a laptop for fast, responsive gaming, let's use it on a controller! (This is sarcasm).

Use the touch pad for the general aim. Set it to a value where you can look about 90° comfortably with a small and quick swipe of the thumb. Set gyro to on when the trackpad is pressed. Set gyro sensitivity lower, so you can use the gyro for small adjustments. Works very well. I can even play Counterstrike quite decently. It's not as good as mouse + KB, of course, but in CS I can play at Gold Nova Level compared to Master Guardian Level with KB and mouse.

A video how you can make it work in CS. Works like that in other games. I recently played Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it was superb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKuO9M0WuMg
Julius 6 Jun
Quoting: denyasisLike just getting the buttons and controls to work can take up a good chunk of your gaming session.

Dunno, but I just try some community presets and usually there is one that works great. Of course kudos to you if you actually create them for others to use :)
denyasis 6 Jun
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely check out the gyro thing.
I guess what was really odd for me is that I use a trackball, not a mouse, so the physical motion of my fingers doesn't really differ that much from one device to the other, so it was really odd that I couldn't get good results. Clearly it's user error on my part.

Quoting: JuliusDunno, but I just try some community presets and usually there is one that works great. Of course kudos to you if you actually create them for others to use :)

I do the same, and it works pretty well depending on the game. I spent a stupid amount of time trying to get Shank and Shank 2 to work last month, but the community profile are super helpful.

I think the Steam Controller is more a controller power user's controller. And I'm not a controller power user.
Julius 7 Jun
Quoting: MrAnon57If you're playing games through steam I'd say PS5 controller, feels great and has a touchpad for when you need a mouse, it's what I use

The PS5 controller is indeed in many ways similar to the Steam controller. Maybe sometimes in the future I will get one if my two Steam controllers go the way of the Dodo.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.