Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Which controller should i pick?
Page: «4/4
  Go to:
MrAnon57 10 Jun
How is it? I've thought about getting one but the lack of thumbsticks seems like a deal breaker to me
damarrin 10 Jun
The DS5 has thumb sticks. They work fine.
The 8BitDo Pro 2 I ordered has finally arrived today.

The first impressions are really positive, it seems well-made (I really like how the dpad, sticks and shoulder buttons feel) and is comfortable to use.

It has a dedicated mode switch on it which I set to X (Xinput). It's getting picked up by various games, Steam or emulators as an Xbox One Controller.

So far I've only tried it with a few games, what's great is that vibrations so far have worked in every game I've tried playing with it, even in the titles that wouldn't have vibrations on the DS4.

One example is the Redream emulator, it feels so good to finally have the vibrations working. This emu picks up the controller as an Xbox One S controller.
Poethred 17 Jun
I grew up with Xbox and I prefer their controller. However, in general, if this is your first controller, you won't spot the difference.
rezzafri 19 Jun
DS4, it has gyro, big win if you want to play emulator like yuzu or cemu. The caveat is most game assume that we use xbox controller. I wish to replace the button label with AXBY
Just out of curiosity, are the advance option like the profil switcher, vibrations intensity, macros supported? And if it's the case do you a native app like SC controller or is the android 8bitdo app mandatory ?
Quoting: DoctorJunglistThe 8BitDo Pro 2 I ordered has finally arrived today.

The first impressions are really positive, it seems well-made (I really like how the dpad, sticks and shoulder buttons feel) and is comfortable to use.
Thanks for posting this; this is the controller I've been considering picking up. I've been having increasing problems with my 2 Steam Controllers dropping connection for no apparent reason, and it's bad enough that it's time to see about replacing them.
Craggles086 25 Jun
Quoting: damarrinThe Steam Controller is a risky proposition. As far as I can tell it was designed as a k&m replacement and the right touchpad just doesn’t work as well as a traditional analogue stick in games made with a pad in mind. Plus there’s no d-pad.

I use it daily with the steam link and it’s at least nice to move the cursor around the screen. But for actual gaming I use a normal controller.

I love the Steam Controller the Pad works great with any FPS. Unfortunately games are no longer supporting all the Steam Controller can do.

(Example, Borderlands 2 has brilliant support for Steam Controller. Borderlands 3 you have to get into Controller settings and hack it yourself.)

But someone should have shared a Controller profile to fix it, or you can get your hands dirty and do it yourself.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.