Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures + FRUA-MM.
slaapliedje Jun 15, 2021
So, this may be a little bit less known than the fantastic Neverwinter Nights game. But there was at one point a game editor created for all your awesome D&D needs called Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures. I had an original copy back in the day at the height of the Goldbox D&D games.

You can buy it here. https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_two (currently 75% off!)

This has a 'native' Linux version (it's just GOG's typical DOSBox wrapper).

Since this was released in 1993, a huge majority of old D&D modules have been converted into the game! And last night I found someone created FRUA-MM (Module Manager) where you can do patching / downloading / hacks of the modules easily. Problem is, the program is a Windows program. So while I managed to get as far as telling it where the game was installed and was able to download a module, right clicking on it should launch the game with the module. I'm sure it'd be fairly easy to hack around the wine -> bat script -> dosbox -> start up for Linux, but I think it'd be nicer to look into how the application works and maybe re-write it in a more cross platform manner.

Anyhow, this is more about bringing attention to this wonderful toolbox of gaming history and showing that GOG has a Linux release for it, and that with the module manager we could have many many hours of fun!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.