Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
GUILTY GEAR STRIVE problem and Linux gaming in general
dee51x Jun 26, 2021
I haven't see anyone mentioned this issue but the problem with my game is, it keeps getting MASSIVE hit in fps when the game loads to another menu/screen . For example sometimes in character select screen I get like 7-8 fps and in battle it jumps back to 60 fps, that sounds passable BUT if the character select screen doesn't lag then the battle will be! I don't know what's the cause of it and it is very irritating!

Besides that, I have tried multiple distros a past few days and surprisingly some games very smooth and some are very choppy/stuttery. Pop and Manjaro although highly regarded as smooth, surprisingly are the worst to me, especially Manjaro where even in desktop it's choppy once every 5 secs, and I have tried both Xfce and KDE too. Pop in the other hand get a very smooth desktop experience but in game it is very choppy, more than Mint or Zorin Lite and even Manjaro. The one seems to work best for me atm is Zorin OS Lite, but the problem with GG Strive remains. I've tried different protons and kernels too but still Pop is very smooth in desktop but super choppy in games where Manjaro is kinda the opposite, both are unusable nonetheless.

So, what distro is ACTUALLY best for gaming now? And what's the problem with GG Strive? Would love to hear your shares.

If nothing works out I will stick with Zorin for the moment, and I also want to hear some thoughts on Solus.

My specs:

NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB
Intel Core i3 10105F
16GB of ram
RossBC Jun 27, 2021
It's hard to say, arch user myself, have been doing some testing of games/kernels and the 470 and 455 linux nvidia drivers.
So far have found the arch build of the zen kernel to run best with the most current dxvk with the 470 driver and strangly a custom muqss kernel that seem to work a lot better with vkd3d but not so great with dxvk.

Then there was the ck kernel that was for some bizzar reason using double the cpu workload doing the same tasks with no visible improvement. Gonna take a stab in the dark and assume it's going to be like that everywhere at the moment.

Oh the 470 driver even though its beta ran better with dxvk, had some problems with vkd3d with it when it first released but the packager has recently made some changes and it seems to work properly now.

The steep fps drops in character select sounds a bit odd though, if the combat works fine, does it have an animated or maybe a video for the background for the character select screen ?

Last edited by RossBC on 27 June 2021 at 2:53 am UTC
buenaventura Nov 25, 2021
I also have this problem - most of the game works fine, including the character select screen the first time I enter it after starting the game, but then when I've played a match and return to the character select screen, it lags massively as you describe. Then into a match again and its fine ... ? I've also experienced this lag carrying into a stage once or twice as you describe but above all character select. Seems to happen no matter what settings I play at. There is something that happens in the transition it seems. I wonder how to fix that.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.