Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 2 in Wine
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Shmerl Jul 8, 2021
Yeah, that's why I play TW3 on max difficulty, but even then towards the end of the game Geralt is pretty OP.
Ehvis Jul 8, 2021
Turned off the QTEs in my Dark replay. Killed Letho in one try that time around. Not so difficult when you know the game.

And yes, TW3 is only really worth playing on Death March if you care about interesting combat.
Pangaea Jul 8, 2021
Quoting: EhvisTurned off the QTEs in my Dark replay. Killed Letho in one try that time around. Not so difficult when you know the game.

And yes, TW3 is only really worth playing on Death March if you care about interesting combat.
If I recall, you couldn't turn them off entirely, but only to a light version? That is what I did, which made the Kayran fight doable and less sucky. The special trap helped too.

Letho died, and in all playthroughs of TW3 I have imported that save, so I've never seen his cameo in TW3. Not a big miss as he was an ass anyway. Felt right to kill him after all the crap he did.
Koopacabras Jul 13, 2021
let's see compared to Dark Souls it's probably easier but imho a nice challenge. I think I played on normal TW2, and on my 1st playthough I played Blood and Broken bones mode on TW3, it seemed easier than Normal difficulty from TW2 just my humble opinion.
I was coming from different type of combat game, like Arkham series, Mad Max, Shadow of Mordor etc. Witcher games seem somewhere in the middle between mindless button smashing a la Arkham, and taking 4 hours just to prepare for a boss fight like Dark Souls.
Also being a full blown RPG makes the game flexible, as Pangea said if you collect lots of stuff you get massively overpowered by the end game, this problem also makes me remember of Valheim, if you upgrade all your armour and weapons you can tank the last boss easily. It's just insane in Valheim how much easier is defeating the final boss with all the upgrades maxed out.
I don't know how to explain it ... it has a steep start game learning curve, middle game is challenging and at end game you are on top of it dominating the situation, and you are like a little dissapointed that final bosses are so easy. (same happens with Valheim imho)

Last edited by Koopacabras on 13 July 2021 at 2:50 am UTC
wojtek88 Jun 8, 2022
Welcome back! In 2018 I've switched to Nintendo Switch from Linux gaming and I've completely abandoned it. Now I am back as I've purchased... Steam Deck

And here is the question - does anyone managed to run Witcher 2 on Steam Deck? Seems Virtual Programming port doesn't start, same if I force Proton Experimental or newest stable.

Any verified advice will be appreciated!
Shmerl Jun 8, 2022
As above, you might need that native d3dcompiler_47 override for it to work. I haven't tested it without it recently.

I haven't worked much with Proton, but there is protontricks apparently which can help setting up such override similiarly to how winetricks does it (it does use winetricks underneath).

Last edited by Shmerl on 8 June 2022 at 6:14 am UTC
Avehicle7887 Jun 10, 2022
Quoting: wojtek88Welcome back! In 2018 I've switched to Nintendo Switch from Linux gaming and I've completely abandoned it. Now I am back as I've purchased... Steam Deck

And here is the question - does anyone managed to run Witcher 2 on Steam Deck? Seems Virtual Programming port doesn't start, same if I force Proton Experimental or newest stable.

Any verified advice will be appreciated!

I don't own a Steam Deck but If I had to hazard a guess as to why the native port isn't running is due to missing 32bit dependencies.

I think the Windows version would run better on the Deck than the native version could.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.