OpenXR game with Proton
Liemaeu Jul 25, 2021
I'm testing an unpublished game on Steam running with Proton which supports VR with OpenXR. It doesn't use SteamVR. The game itself runs (in normal desktop mode) but when I start the VR mode from the main menu it doesn't show up in my VR headset (HTC Vive). I'm stuck in the loading room of SteamVR. The game shows the error message "connecting to VR failed".

Engine: Unity

I used my Vive only with SteamVR before. According to my research Proton supports OpenXR since version 5.13 (I use 6.3). Is there anything else I need to install/set up to get OpenXR "standalone" games to work?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Liemaeu on 25 July 2021 at 1:15 pm UTC
Julius Jul 25, 2021
Uhmm, that is likely highly experimental and largely untested... OpenXR through Proton is a niche of a niche of a niche. You are probably one of a hand-full of people who ever tried.

Probably better luck here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/SteamVR-for-Linux

Last edited by Julius on 25 July 2021 at 6:04 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.