Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone with no article paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Folder empty even though there are files?
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
TimeFreeze 11 Sep
When i go into my External HDD and open a folder it just says empty even though the folder is full of files. When i plug the HDD in my TV or Laptop the files are appearing again. But on my main machine its for some reason empty. Any idea why that is so?

PS: Sorry if thats the wrong Category to ask.
whizse 11 Sep
  • Supporter
What exactly considers the dir to be empty? A file manager or ls in a terminal?
TimeFreeze 11 Sep
Quoting: whizseWhat exactly considers the dir to be empty? A file manager or ls in a terminal?

Both. When i use ls in a terminal i get:

Quotels
".": Input/output error (os error 5)
whizse 11 Sep
  • Supporter
I'm not sure why you're getting different results on different systems, but this sounds like a corrupt filesystem.

Running a filesystem check would be a good first step, then try to figure out if the disk might be failing.
tuxintuxedo 11 Sep
Quoting: whizseI'm not sure why you're getting different results on different systems, but this sounds like a corrupt filesystem.

Running a filesystem check would be a good first step, then try to figure out if the disk might be failing.
That and you could also tell us what filesystem is being used on that external drive.
TimeFreeze 11 Sep
No idea which filesystem is beeing used tbh, i just know that on windows the drive doesnt get recognized anymore or rather it says its damaged and needs to be formated. But on Linux it works without a problem. Also every other folder and files are still appearing just this one folder says its empty on my main machine.

This is the output when i make a check:
Quotesudo fsck -f /dev/sda
fsck from util-linux 2.37.2
e2fsck 1.46.4 (18-Aug-2021)
ext2fs_open2: Bad magic number in super-block
fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
or
e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

/dev/sda contains `DOS/MBR boot sector MS-MBR Windows 7 english at offset 0x163 "Invalid partition table" at offset 0x17b "Error loading operating system" at offset 0x19a "Missing operating system", disk signature 0xe4ef7594; partition 1 : ID=0x7, start-CHS (0x0,32,33), end-CHS (0x3ff,254,63), startsector 2048, 1953519616 sectors' data
tuxintuxedo 11 Sep
I suggest making a backup of the drive as soon as you can. Either the filesystem has problems (in this case reformatting is your best option) or it has some kind of hardware fault.

Last edited by tuxintuxedo on 11 September 2021 at 3:53 pm UTC
TimeFreeze 11 Sep
Quoting: tuxintuxedoI suggest making a backup of the drive as soon as you can. Either the filesystem has problems (in this case reformatting is your best option) or it has some kind of hardware fault.

I would love too. But i dont really have any other External HDD or Cloud service which would let me upload over 800GB of data.
tuxintuxedo 11 Sep
In the worst case you might permanently lose important data. You should keep that in mind.
Liam Dawe 11 Sep
Could just be a file permissions issue. Somehow you might have ended up not being able to read it on one system, check that before considering it a bad drive.
TimeFreeze 11 Sep
Quoting: Liam DaweCould just be a file permissions issue. Somehow you might have ended up not being able to read it on one system, check that before considering it a bad drive.

And how would i check that? Also it might be just me but i think the folder started appearing "empty" after an kernel update. Though i dont know why it would only affect 1 folder and not just the whole drive.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!