Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone with no article paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
hi. does memory frequency downclocking work on amd rx 6000 series?
hi! i bought a 6900 xt awhile ago and the first thing i did with it was install linux but at the time memory did not downclock its frequency at idle. this caused some pretty high idle temps. i tried changing refresh rate to see if maybe that was why but it didn't matter if it was 60hz or 165hz. on windows this does not happen as memory is dynamic based on load. from as low as 8mhz all the way to its full 2000mhz.

so i am wondering if the 6000 series on linux with newer kernels fixed memory frequency downclocking? i would really like to go back. thank you
The_Aquabat 16 Oct
on my 5600XT downclocking on idle has been working for ages, since I bought it , it did. I see no reason why it shouldn't unless you tried running this card on Linux on launch date, yeah on launch date sometimes AMD cards are missing some features, it takes some months for the kernel devs to pick up. I recommend trying with kernel 5.14, also most likely you need a newer linux firmare.
Quoting: The_Aquabaton my 5600XT downclocking on idle has been working for ages, since I bought it , it did. I see no reason why it shouldn't unless you tried running this card on Linux on launch date, yeah on launch date sometimes AMD cards are missing some features, it takes some months for the kernel devs to pick up. I recommend trying with kernel 5.14, also most likely you need a newer linux firmare.
hi. i just tried arch linux iso with 5.14 and checking memory frequency, its still running at the max 1000mhz (2000mhz). seems like rdna 2 still doesn't downclock frequency. thank you though. oh well.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.