Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
amd 6900 xt linux vs windows results with unigine heaven
hi everyone! thought i'd share some benchmarks i did with my 6900 xt with unigine heaven.
linux:
link
windows:
link

if i did my math correctly, about a 16.7% difference in average fps.
maybe benchmarks like sanctuary or valley will yield better scores because they are older and require less powerful hardware. however, to be honest i 'really' dont think a rough 17% difference is big( i may be wrong though).
Can you test OpenGL on Windows as well? That would be a more accurate comparison in my opinion.
Shmerl 21 Oct
Too bad it doesn't have Vulkan benchmarks yet. I don't think they represent actual situation in games because of that. What you measure is important. Not just the numbers.

Last edited by Shmerl on 21 October 2021 at 7:09 pm UTC
Ezequiel 24 Oct
It's not really a fair comparisson, DX11 vs Opengl usually ends up like this. Maybe try opengl on both? Or try a Vulkan bench like GravityMark?
kit89 24 Oct
Also make sure your CPU governance is set to performance, I think by default it's ondemand or powersave.

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
Shmerl 24 Oct
By default it's commonly schedutil which isn't a bad option. ondemand isn't a default usually in modern distros.

Last edited by Shmerl on 24 October 2021 at 9:51 am UTC
Quoting: Sputnik_tr_02Can you test OpenGL on Windows as well? That would be a more accurate comparison in my opinion.
hi! i have fully converted to linux so i no longer have a windows install, but shortly after i received my 6900 xt i did run heaven in opengl mode on windows and it was absolutely awful. i don't remember the exact score, but it was far worse than the linux opengl result.

though i did test superposition and posted my results in the superposition thread. the gap there between opengl and direct x was only 7%! either way i am very happy so far on linux. the few quirks i worried about have been a nothing burger and the performance has been great

Last edited by agentlaidlaw on 24 October 2021 at 10:55 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.