Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Need help with DOSBox to speed it up.
MattX Oct 24, 2021
Hello, Everyone!

My System Info
POTATO ALERT!
Over 10 years old HP550 laptop (Intel Core2Duo T5270 1.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, SSD)

Linux Distribution: Solus 4.3
Desktop Environment: Mate
Graphics Card: Intel Mobile GME965/GLE960 (probably Intel GMA X3100)
GPU Driver Version: Mesa 21.2.4

Have you checked for system updates?: I'm always up to date with my OS

You can note your issue below here

I'm using Lutris to run mostly retro (early 90's to early 2000s) and low-requirements retro-inspired games through Wine and DOSBox. I'm quite new to DOSBox and I need some help with optimization from people who have more experience with it. Latest Lutris release installed from Solus repos uses DOSBox-staging. I don't know what's the difference between various DOSBox editions and I don't know which is the best for potato machine like mine. The problem is that some titles like early FPS games (Powerslave, HeXen) have some weird slowdowns and some minor sound crackles. I know that my laptop is basically an office laptop with infamous Intel GMA, but I think it's enough for those pixelated DOS games from 90's. What tweaks would you recommend me to speed up the DOSBox performance?

Note any particular steps to reproduce it below here

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.