You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Do you read Phoronix?
Page: «5/5
  Go to:
Poll results: Do you read Phoronix?
Yes

34 vote(s)
58%
No

25 vote(s)
42%
slaapliedje 17 Nov
Quoting: wvstolzing
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: CatKiller
Quoting: scaineAnd yeah, Phoronix comments tend to be even more techy than Larabel himself, which isn't very helpful, nor welcoming.
It's not that they're techy - I like techy - it's that they're the wonderful combination of toxic & clueless.
There are a lot of major trolls there. Like you look at the KDE discussion on this site... pretty calm and useful conversation, and actually discussing the issues with desktop environments. Compare that to the Phoronix forums where it's very fanboy-ish. Bordering on the terrible idiots who post to Apple forums.

The Apple idiots are often funny in their innocence; & I don't recall people being mean to one another on places like macrumors. Linux trolls are a sadistic bunch in comparison.
Ha, I have only read a few of the Apple comments at various places due to ordering an m1 max a while back (still waiting for it to show up). The complaints that it's a tiny bit heavier and a tiny bit larger stated as if it were the end of the world. And that they ditched ONE port in favor of magsafe, sd card reader, and HDMI port... it's just silly. I'm hoping to dual boot it eventually. But being the first time actually buying an Apple product... they're a little weird, and yes I'd go so far as to say cultish.
Liam Dawe 17 Nov
Must admit my surprise by the results so far, guess it's a good idea that I do cover some of the techie stuff and simplify it with a few explainers huh.
mirv 17 Nov
Quoting: Liam DaweMust admit my surprise by the results so far, guess it's a good idea that I do cover some of the techie stuff and simplify it with a few explainers huh.

This is appreciated, along with the ever so simple link to a source which people who are interested in more details can follow. I know that should be online reporting 101, but not everywhere does it, so it's yet another little detail that keeps the quality of GOL higher than most.
Liam Dawe 17 Nov
Quoting: mirv
Quoting: Liam DaweMust admit my surprise by the results so far, guess it's a good idea that I do cover some of the techie stuff and simplify it with a few explainers huh.

This is appreciated, along with the ever so simple link to a source which people who are interested in more details can follow. I know that should be online reporting 101, but not everywhere does it, so it's yet another little detail that keeps the quality of GOL higher than most.
Honestly, it bugs me to no end every time I read a big "PC" or other gaming site, when the game name links to a previous article, and there's no plain store link to get where I want to go from their info. It's a small thing to have to load a tab, go to a store, put the name in and then get it but still...it's the little things that make up life. At least if I ever link to a previous article, there's always a plain store link too.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 17 November 2021 at 4:11 pm UTC
rcrit 17 Nov
I'll add a third choice: Yes, but only when I'm really bored.
slaapliedje 17 Nov
Quoting: Liam Dawe

Honestly, it bugs me to no end every time I read a big "PC" or other gaming site, when the game name links to a previous article, and there's no plain store link to get where I want to go from their info. It's a small thing to have to load a tab, go to a store, put the name in and then get it but still...it's the little things that make up life. At least if I ever link to a previous article, there's always a plain store link too.
I mean the main reason I look at Phoronix is it seems to cover the kernel updates pretty well. Also their benchmarks are great. The three main sites I usually visit in a day is this one, OSNews (though mostly out of habit at this point) and Phoronix. Usually I see the articles about things either here or phoronix first, and then OSnews. Though OSNews is good for non-Linux stuff occasionally as well. Then again I also hang out in Atari / Amiga forums :P
CatKiller 17 Nov
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: slaapliedjeBordering on the terrible idiots who post to Apple forums.

There are forums dedicated to apples? How can people be upset discussing Granny Smith vs Braeburn? Or maybe they're just discussing their orchards. Possibly how to make the best apple juice or cider.
I'd kill for a Granny Smith right now!
I'm more of a Pink Lady girl, myself.
wvstolzing 17 Nov
I used to buy McIntoshes all the time in the US; but they just aren't available where I live now. I also like the small type of Fuji apples, & granny smiths.
Vulphere 18 Nov
I read Phoronix at least once a week, and I prefer LWN for more in-depth kernel development news
eldaking 18 Nov
Quoting: Liam Dawe

Yes, it bothers me so much too! If I click on the name of the game I want a link to the game itself (official webpage). Stop trying to trap me in your ad network stupid webpages.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.