Poll results: Do you read Phoronix?
Yes

34 vote(s)
58%
No

25 vote(s)
42%
eldaking Nov 15, 2021
I know of it, occasionally open a link to it. But when I briefly tried to follow their RSS, I wasn't really interested.
CatKiller Nov 15, 2021
Skimming the headlines and picking out some of the articles is useful for taking the temperature of progress in areas that are of interest to the Linux ecosystem. The comments are absolutely terrible, and no one should ever read them. The articles themselves often don't contain enough detail to bring a reader up to speed with what they're about (although that does seem to have improved a little bit recently, which is nice), and they'll often only link back to a Phoronix article search rather than primary sources, which is pretty frustrating.
GustyGhost Nov 15, 2021
Only to check the heartbeat of various projects.
Alm888 Nov 15, 2021
Only when GOL mentions an article from Phoronix. :)

How shall I respond? Yes? Sometimes?
Arehandoro Nov 15, 2021
Only check GOL. The few times I visited Phoronix, found their style and UX horrendous, and the forums too, so stopped altogether. I do visit The Register weekly for some IT/Linux related news too, though.
kokoko3k Nov 15, 2021
I mainly read it with my rss feed aggregator; if there is something that interests me, i enter the site.
It certainly is an unpleasant experience, but being Phoronix itself a feed aggregator (+benchmarks), at least it is useful.
Sometimes i jump (and move away in little time) into the forums to get some more bits of fast information if the article is not clear enough to me.
dubigrasu Nov 15, 2021
I read every day the titles, sometimes I read the articles themselves and rarely the comments.
damarrin Nov 15, 2021
Yeah, the level of discussion on Phoronix is frightening.

Still, I enjoy the site.
scaine Nov 15, 2021
I barely understand most of what Larabel writes, so I gave up a few years ago. Feels like quite a techy and Linux-y site, which you'd think would be a good thing, since I'm a network-y, techy/nerdy, Linux user. But he writes about stuff I just don't care about. CPU microcode, Tensor, CUDA, GPU pipelines, Git versions, Kernel nuances. Its a hardware site, I suppose, but he manages to find angles on stuff I have near-zero interest in and rarely explains why it might be interesting.

And yeah, Phoronix comments tend to be even more techy than Larabel himself, which isn't very helpful, nor welcoming.
CatKiller Nov 16, 2021
Quoting: scaineAnd yeah, Phoronix comments tend to be even more techy than Larabel himself, which isn't very helpful, nor welcoming.
It's not that they're techy - I like techy - it's that they're the wonderful combination of toxic & clueless.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.