Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Where is the prefix for non-steam games?
Tom B Dec 27, 2021
I've installed a game by "Add non-steam game" and selecting the MSI installer. It worked, and the game installed fine but I can't find where it actually installed. I've looked through ~/.steam but I can't find it in there.

Can anyone tell me what prefix it uses and where the files are actually stored? I'm looking for the drive_c folder it installed into
Ehvis Jul 21, 2023
Also in the compatdata directory, but with very long numbers. You kinda have to search which one is which.
whizse Jul 21, 2023
For a non-steam game, a random generated AppID is used to identify the application and name the prefix.

The only mapping I found between a manually added .exe and prefix is in the shortcuts.vdf file (somewhere in ~/.steam/). You need to read the file with a hex editor. It's the 32bit unsigned int after the "appid" identifier.

So yeah... probably easier to follow Ehvis advice and search for the folder or list the compatdir contents by date and open the latest created one.
whizse Jul 21, 2023
Just for reference: Finding the prefix for a normal Steam game is easier since it's just the AppID for the game.

If you don't know it you can simply grep for the name of the game in the .acf files (one level above the compatdir directory). The match will have the Steam AppID in the filename.

Still, I would like to see an "Open Prefix in file browser" button in the Steam client!
Klaas Jul 21, 2023
Quoting: whizseThe only mapping I found between a manually added .exe and prefix is in the shortcuts.vdf file (somewhere in ~/.steam/). You need to read the file with a hex editor. It's the 32bit unsigned int after the "appid" identifier.

What's weird about shortcuts.vdf is that the appids match those used for the grid images, but not for the directory names of the screenshot directories in .steam/steam/userdata/USERID/760/remote/APPID/screenshots
dpanter Jul 22, 2023
If you'd like to try it, I made a bash script a few years ago. Still works here. It's not perfect, uses Protontricks to read ~/.steam/steam/config/config.vdf. I offer zero support for the script, enjoy. :)
Non-Steam games will always create prefix in your home dir by default no matter where you install the game itself. And yes, Steam is notoriously terrible at deleting these dirs so you'll definitely have to do some manual cleanup.
Example output:

$ ./compatcheck.sh

Non-Steam apps - Note that these compat dirs may no longer exist.
Default location: /home/panther/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/
                   -------------------------- | ---------- | ------------------
                   Protontricks detected game | Compat dir | Compatibility Tool
                   -------------------------- | ---------- | ------------------
                                              | 2387369984 | boxtron
                                              | 2372834471 | proton_7
                                              | 2538838069 | proton_7
                                              | 2728246381 | proton_experimental
                            DRG Survivor.exe  | 2384107741 | proton_8
                          GravityCircuit.exe  | 3834198777 | proton_8
Klaas Jul 22, 2023
Quoting: dpanterAnd yes, Steam is notoriously terrible at deleting these dirs so you'll definitely have to do some manual cleanup.
I think that's a thing of the past since 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now it seems to delete the prefix every time.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.