You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Final Fantasy XIV Online (Lutris). Right mouse camera control broken.
superboybot Dec 31, 2021
My System Info

Linux Distribution: Arch
Desktop Environment: Sway
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
GPU Driver Version: Mesa 21.3.2

Have you checked for system updates?: Yes

If this is not Steam, you can still give us a system readout using inxi with "inxi -SbCGxx" in terminal (please put that into Pastebin/Gist as linked above!): https://pastebin.com/vbk3SBUB

You can note your issue below here

I'm trying to play FF XIV via Lutris using the open-source XIVLauncher. I am hitting an issue when rotating the camera with the right mouse button. When holding right-click, moving the mouse even slightly causes the camera to go completely haywire.

Here is a (quite compressed) clip of what I am talking about: https://imgur.com/a/OpY1w7X

The camera can also be adjusted with the arrow keys, which I use to move the camera halfway through the clip. However, this is not really a solution to my problem.

I've had this happen twice before (three times total over approx. five days of playing). Restarting my computer worked the first time but not the second. After trying numerous options in the game and in Lutris, I just reinstalled, which fixed the problem. Downloading and installing the game takes 45+ minutes, so it isn't something I would like to do every time this happens.

I have very few theories as to why this happens. Occasionally my razor mouse freezes (doesn't move but still clicks). I've also been having problems with hardware acceleration with my web browser (Brave). Could any of these be related? It is difficult to pinpoint possible contributing factors since I can't find anyone else with my issue.

Thank you for reading my post. Any help is appreciated, as right now the game is unplayable for me.

EDIT: The game was working fine, I closed it, I opened it again about an hour later, and it's messed up. The problem also occurs in the character selection screen, before fully logging in.

Last edited by superboybot on 31 December 2021 at 7:41 am UTC
whizse Dec 31, 2021
Skimming through the reports in ProtonDB there are some mouse issues mentioned. Some are specific for Wayland, some for gaming mice with high polling rates: https://www.protondb.com/app/39210

You could try running the game in X11, reducing the polling rate of the mouse, disabling vsync, or playing around with the Wine options for capturing the mouse in fullscreen.
superboybot Jan 1, 2022
Sorry for the delayed response.

These are good suggestions, and I tried different mouse sensitivity options, various options in WINE and Lutris (including the fullscreen mouse option you mentioned, whizse).

I firmly believe my web browser is causing the issue, but I don't know why or how to fix it. I managed to recreate the issue:

• Restart machine and open FFXIV

• Open Brave and go start playing a video in the browser (once in a while it happens with YT, but I found listenonrepeat.com causes it almost 100%)

• Observe the issue

At that point, I have to restart/log back in; closing the browser does not fix it. Turning off HW acceleration in the browser doesn't seem to make a difference, which is unfortunate. I can work around this problem using Firefox, but it crashes quite a bit (sometimes as often as 2-3 times an hour). My speculation is that whatever causes the issue with Brave is also causing Firefox to crash, but at least I can play the game.

I suspect this is an unusual problem, any suggestions on how to follow up on this (bug report, etc.)?
metalinux Jan 14, 2022
This user had similar camera issues to you when running FF14 on Wayland.

For them, switching back to X11 caused no issues, so from my angle it seems like an problem with Sway.

One of the Reddit users fixed the game under Sway by using gamescope, with these example launch options:

gamescope -f -w 2560 -h 1440 -b -- gamemoderun %command%

For reporting bugs, the Sway issue tracker can be found here.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.