Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Why do you use Linux?
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
Poll results: Why do YOU use Linux?
It works better for what I use a computer for

33 vote(s)
49%
Proprietary software is the devil's spawn. Only open source should survive!

12 vote(s)
18%
A monopoly is never a good thing, viva la competition!

6 vote(s)
9%
Huh? That's what everyone uses, you mean I can replace it with something else?

4 vote(s)
6%
I like to make life difficult for myself and everyone else around me

4 vote(s)
6%
I just like to tinker and tweak so I don't have to do any actual work

3 vote(s)
4%
Paying for software is soooo noughties

2 vote(s)
3%
I want to do my shady computer deeds without anyone knowing!

1 vote(s)
1%
It's the ultimate gaming OS!

1 vote(s)
1%
Because BSD is too hard!

1 vote(s)
1%
damarrin Jan 5, 2022
Hey all,

Following all the conversations on here and in other places, it's very clear we all use Linux (yay! \o/), but it's also clear the reasons we do vary wildly.

So, why do you use Linux?

It's all meant to be rather light-hearted, please don't take it too seriously.

Last edited by damarrin on 5 January 2022 at 10:53 am UTC
damarrin Jan 5, 2022
And I closed it by accident :-( Come back when (if?) Liam reopens it.
BlackBloodRum Jan 5, 2022
Quoting: damarrinAnd I closed it by accident :-( Come back when (if?) Liam reopens it.
🤨

*facepalm*
damarrin Jan 5, 2022
Looks like it's open! It also looks like you get one shot at answering it, so don't go clicking willy-nilly.

Last edited by damarrin on 5 January 2022 at 10:51 am UTC
Put my vote in
Alm888 Jan 5, 2022
No "Because I like to customize an OS to fit my twisted tastes". :(

So, "shady deeds" it is then.
I wonder if it'll be one vote for each option 😂
furaxhornyx Jan 5, 2022
"End of Windows 7 support"
damarrin Jan 5, 2022
Quoting: furaxhornyx"End of Windows 7 support"
Hah, that is a good reason. Too bad I see no way to edit the poll.
Xpander Jan 5, 2022
Missing option "Flexibility of the system, that makes my workflow much quicker after a bit of tinkering!"

i guess "It works better for what I use a computer for" is close enough, so i voted this

edit: Btw switched to linux in 2007, never looked back. With windows i never felt like im in control of my OS, was the main reason.

Last edited by Xpander on 7 January 2022 at 11:04 am UTC
Ehvis Jan 5, 2022
I experimented with Linux since the mid 90s and used it as a server for a long time when I was in university. On my desktop I used Win95, which I made work very well for me. Then came win98 and I wasn't happy so skipped it. During the wait for XP I used Win2k for a bit and when XP came I find it going in a direction I wasn't happy with and again skipped it. After graduation from uni in early 2002, I switched everything around. Put my Linux partition as the primary booting one (and switched out my qwerty keyboard for Dvorak). Never looked back.

So basically, Windows just stopped being what I was looking for in a desktop and by 2002 Gnome had caught up far enough to serve as the main desktop.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.