Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
USB-C docks ?
Guppy Jan 11, 2022
So for work I've got a "ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C Dock" ( 40AF0135EU ) for the Legion 5 so I could connect two external monitors.

How ever when I connect the monitors ( tested both HDMI and DP ) they detect that they are connected, but get no signal and Linux doesn't see new screens connected either.

( when I plug directly into the single onboard HDMI the screen is instantly reconised )

Annoyingly my co worker running windows ( on the exact same model laptop ) it just instantly works.

At home on the same laptop I use a Dell D300A to connect a single 4K monitor and that works flawlessly.

So I guess there is a driver issue at work here, specifically that maybe Linux doesn't support the ThinkPad dock's display module (network, power and usb worked fine)

Does anyone have experience with USB-C docks connecting to multiple external monitors on linux?

The "ThinkPad USB-C gen 2 dock" (40AS0090EU) might work but I'd rather not spend another 300€ on something that will ultimatively not work
BlackBloodRum Jan 11, 2022
On an off-chance have you tried Kernel 5.16? It contains lots of fixes since the ancient and buggy 5.15 kernel series, it's possible it may fix this issue as well

No promises, just a suggestion.
whizse Jan 11, 2022
You might need dockd to get it working if you're not running GNOME or KDE:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/ThinkPad_docks

It looks like that device uses DisplayLink. There are some known issues and some troubleshooting tips here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/DisplayLink

HTH,
Guppy Jan 11, 2022
Quoting: whizseYou might need dockd to get it working if you're not running GNOME or KDE:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/ThinkPad_docks

Looks like that is for the "old" thinkpad docks - the one in question uses usb-c

Quoting: whizseIt looks like that device uses DisplayLink. There are some known issues and some troubleshooting tips here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/DisplayLink

HTH,

Nothing is ever simple - seems most docks bury weather they use DP MST or DL deep in the manual so it's not even searchable. oh well now atleast I know what to look out for ;)
Guppy Jan 11, 2022
Think I'll try to get a hold of the 'Dell WD19S 180W' which as far as I can tell uses DP 1.4 over usb and claims to be compatible with linux.

Fingers crossed that it's not incompatible with my laptop or screens in some other way
damarrin Jan 11, 2022
The display tech is irrelevant in the mainstream because either works fine, unfortunately the distinction is crucial for us :-(

Like that time the exact same model of webcam would use completely different chips and one would work in Linux and the other wouldn’t and the only way to find out which one you had was to open the case and look inside… ffs.
Guppy Jan 13, 2022
Quoting: GuppyThink I'll try to get a hold of the 'Dell WD19S 180W' which as far as I can tell uses DP 1.4 over usb and claims to be compatible with linux.

Fingers crossed that it's not incompatible with my laptop or screens in some other way

Thank fully that one worked, it's a little anoying that I had to activate each screeen in turn and that every time I did that or changed the relative position Linux would turn off all screens ( including the laptop one ) and 'have a think' for several long seconds.. but hey it actually works :D

Better still connecting the laptop to my home dock it actually remembers the config there ( primary screen, DPI settings, relative positions and perscreen fractional settings ) I kind of expected to have to deal with the usual mess, but thank fully I was pleasantly supprised :D
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.