Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Twitch banner doesn't go away
scaine Mar 24, 2022
Not sure if this is a bug:

Just wondering if this is affecting anyone else? The "We're live now on Twitch! Title: Apex Legends" banner appears when a twitch stream is running, but I'm sure that it used to automatically go away once the stream ended?

Now though, it seems like it needs to be manually cleared. I still have it showing right now, as I type this, for an Apex Legends stream from two days ago. And I could have sworn I'd cleared that already?

Tell me I'm not imagining all this!
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Liam Dawe Mar 24, 2022
I don't see one at all, so maybe it only happens if you catch it appearing. Hmm.

Can you open dev console (F12 usually in browser) and go to the console tab, and see if there's any errors?

The current file we ping is empty, meaning there's no stream, so it shouldn't display anything right now and doesn't for me.
Ehvis Mar 24, 2022
I mentioned the opposite before as well. It doesn't appear unless I do a forced page reload. Still thinking there is a caching issue with respect to the banner.
Liam Dawe Mar 24, 2022
Quoting: EhvisI mentioned the opposite before as well. It doesn't appear unless I do a forced page reload. Still thinking there is a caching issue with respect to the banner.
Should be no reason for that though, it auto-queries every minute or so. Unless something was doing a cache on the result file it's pulling. I've added a rule on that to cloudflare to bypass cache on it to see if it helps (might solve scaine's problem too).
Liam Dawe Mar 24, 2022
Actually believe I have solved this now, possibly for both of you.

Turns out there was a cache involved, but it was the browser cache. I have a cron that pings Twitch (rather than random page views hitting the Twitch API), then the gol twitch checker looks inside a JSON file the cron makes of the stream info and if it's noted inside then the banner appears. However, browsers were doing a cache of the JSON file. So now, I've made the twitch checker script add the time the request was made to the URL of the JSON file so it grabs it fresh each time.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 24 March 2022 at 7:20 pm UTC
Ehvis Mar 24, 2022
Good work! I'll keep an eye on it.
scaine Mar 24, 2022
Well, I had it, now it's gone, so fingers crossed this is resolved now! Thanks!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.