Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
What do you do when you can't run a native game for Linux?
Page: «4/4
  Go to:
Poll results: What do you do when you can't run a native game for Linux?
I play a game for Windows on Wine, Proton, etc

24 vote(s)
45%
I try to use different libraries, padsp, aoss, etc on my current Linux distro

18 vote(s)
34%
I select a different game for Linux

7 vote(s)
13%
I use a different computer with a different Linux distribution

1 vote(s)
2%
I use an older computer even if it's the outdated Linux distribution

1 vote(s)
2%
I use a virtual machine with a different Linux distribution

1 vote(s)
2%
I play a game for Windows or Mac using one of these two operating systems on a separated partition on the same computer

1 vote(s)
2%
I play a game for Windows or Mac on a virtual machine

0 vote(s)
0%
g000h Apr 13, 2022
Quoting: Arcadius-8606
Quoting: CyrilBut, why? I don't understand.

If a game is ONLINE only, why should I put it on my HD and deal with the space issues for a game that is dead to me when I am offline?

Changes are also that an online only game has DRM or anti-cheat....If it's that bad out here put it in the cloud and call it a day.

I don't care myself, but my understanding is that other people are mystified by your game-playing use-case. Maybe if you clarified what you are doing it might satisfy peoples' curiosity.

My take on it is that you are playing simple browser games, rather than big PVP First Person Shooters. There is value to be gained in terms of frame-rate and mouse response times when you are playing a PVP game which is stored locally as opposed to playing it on a streaming service like Stadia, where the streaming causes some slow-down in the response.
Mezron Apr 13, 2022
Quoting: g000hI don't care myself, but my understanding is that other people are mystified by your game-playing use-case. Maybe if you clarified what you are doing it might satisfy peoples' curiosity.

My take on it is that you are playing simple browser games, rather than big PVP First Person Shooters. There is value to be gained in terms of frame-rate and mouse response times when you are playing a PVP game which is stored locally as opposed to playing it on a streaming service like Stadia, where the streaming causes some slow-down in the response.

The browser based games that I play are Destiny 2, The Division 2, surviv.io, tetr.io, Super Bomberman R Online, Piepacker (various games) and Animal Royale.

I find no benefit to me as a consumer or gamer to be installing ONLINE ONLY MP only games. I do a lot of DM in Destiny 2 and have not had an issue with slow downs and response issues but I hear that can be a thing for many people.

Prior to all of this I just stayed away from ONLINE ONLY MP games. I gave them a shot when more and more PVP/CO-OP games came out for the browser.

If I can't play it offline, I don't want it on my HD.

Last edited by Mezron on 13 April 2022 at 7:30 pm UTC
Shmerl Apr 14, 2022
I play it in Wine / Proton etc. And I don't mind playing games there if they perform better than native versions which can happen.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.