Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
HDMI Capture Devices - Recommendations?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Cyba.Cowboy Apr 8, 2022
I want to capture some gameplay from my Sony PlayStation 4 Pro or Nintendo Switch OLED Model and stream it via Odysee in real-time (using OBS Studio, I suppose), preferably in 4K Ultra HD resolution (though I'll settle for 1080p, if I have to). In addition, I'll want to capture some footage for later uploading, too.

At this time, I use a laptop with USB Type-C and a couple of USB Type-A connections (pretty sure my HDMI port is output-only), so I'd need something that supports one of these interfaces... Once Jammy Jellyfish drops, I'll be using Pop!_OS going forwards, though as this is Ubuntu-based, anything that supports Ubuntu should be fine.

I looked at the 'Elgato' products, which look nice and all... But there's (extremely) mixed feedback as to whether they actually work and I've heard that their support pretty much evaporates the second you mention "Linux".

Can anyone recommend a HDMI capture device that either natively supports Linux-based operating systems or can be configured with minimal effort?
Liam Dawe Apr 8, 2022
I've been using the Flint 4K Plus and it's pretty good :), plug and play. Using it for all my Steam Deck footage, so I use it constantly to know it's good enough. All capture cards vary in picture quality though, and I do have a few issues with dark scenes needing some contrast adjustments but not too bad and I doubt any around that price would be any better.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 13 April 2022 at 11:38 am UTC
woox2k Apr 10, 2022
Depends on what is your pricepoint. Pretty much everything above 100€ will do the trick just fine. Just have to look if they are compatible with Linux.
If you want cheap stuff and are willing to sacrifice some quality and resolution then i may be able to help you. Just recently i bought myself https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08DNBJ7D2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's only 1080p @ 30FPS over USB2 but it works well and image quality is reasonable. You can get this even more cheaply but be careful because there are tons of identical clones, some of which don't even work.
kokoko3k Apr 10, 2022
Quoting: Liam DaweI've been using the Flint 4K Plus and it's pretty good :), plug and plug. Using it for all my Steam Deck footage, so I use it constantly to know it's good enough. All capture cards vary in picture quality though, and I do have a few issues with dark scenes needing some contrast adjustments but not too bad and I doubt any around that price would be any better.
Weird, since it is digitally captured.
Maybe an issie with broadcast vs. limited color levels?
https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/full-rgb-vs-limited-rgb-is-there-a-difference.html
slaapliedje Apr 12, 2022
The AV.io devices all work phenomenally in Linux. But they're kind of pricey.
Cyba.Cowboy Apr 19, 2022
Quoting: woox2kDepends on what is your pricepoint. Pretty much everything above 100€ will do the trick just fine. Just have to look if they are compatible with Linux.

Well that's kinda the whole point of this thread - what's out there that is actually compatible with Linux-based operating systems... I'm not really familiar with the market at all (the only stuff in this product category which I am familiar with is the 'Elgato' stuff we sell at work, which is apparently not Linux friendly at all), so I thought I'd ask here.

Price is not really a concern for me...

Quoting: slaapliedjeThe AV.io devices all work phenomenally in Linux. But they're kind of pricey.

By "Epiphan"? You weren't kidding about the price, though they do like awfully nice (both cosmetically and in terms of specifications)...

Last edited by Cyba.Cowboy on 19 April 2022 at 3:24 am UTC
slaapliedje Apr 23, 2022
Quoting: Cyba.CowboyBy "Epiphan"? You weren't kidding about the price, though they do like awfully nice (both cosmetically and in terms of specifications)...
Yup those are the ones.
BrooksWilliams May 9, 2022
I am also using Flint 4K Plus and I am sure you won't regret your decision. It is easy to use. I can record and stream at up to 1080p at 60fps. I found out about this when I was searching for this https://www.topessaywriting.org/correct-my-essay website. I am a college student and I always need help to complete my essay assignments.

Last edited by BrooksWilliams on 20 June 2022 at 3:23 pm UTC
Liam Dawe May 9, 2022
My main issue with the Flint 4K is the brightness always seems a bit off. Like if I record a screen on the Steam Deck with it with an app open that has a bright GTK theme, it's too bright and some parts don't quite show up. Haven't been able to solve it yet.
kokoko3k May 9, 2022
Quoting: Liam DaweMy main issue with the Flint 4K is the brightness always seems a bit off. Like if I record a screen on the Steam Deck with it with an app open that has a bright GTK theme, it's too bright and some parts don't quite show up. Haven't been able to solve it yet.
Quoting: Liam DaweI've been using the Flint 4K Plus and it's pretty good :), plug and play. Using it for all my Steam Deck footage, so I use it constantly to know it's good enough. All capture cards vary in picture quality though, and I do have a few issues with dark scenes needing some contrast adjustments but not too bad and I doubt any around that price would be any better.

Quoting: kokoko3kWeird, since it is digitally captured.
Maybe an issie with broadcast vs. limited color levels?
https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/full-rgb-vs-limited-rgb-is-there-a-difference.html
Also: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/full-vs-partial-color-ranges-explained-for-streaming.1029/

If it didn't completely crushed lower or upper ends, you can try to change the color levels.
Does the following:
mpv /path/to/the/stream.ext --vf=format=colorlevels=full
or this:
mpv /path/to/the/stream.ext --vf=format=colorlevels=limited
Correct the issue?

If the answer is yes, then you may be able to change the color range before capturing.

Last edited by kokoko3k on 9 May 2022 at 2:55 pm UTC
Liam Dawe May 9, 2022
Hmm, good tip, I'll save this post to experiment this week and see what happens, that could possibly be the issue with the Deck.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.