Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
HDMI Capture Devices - Recommendations?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
kokoko3k May 9, 2022
Mmh, the deck is on wayland, but unfortunately i don't have a clue on how to change levels on amd nor wayland, sorry.

-edit-
Seems kde actually supports it on wayland
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/commit/26ad8e194f90174cf30a9f6f0607b9017d3c7371
Maybe it is in "Hardware -> Display and Monitor -> Displays"

Last edited by kokoko3k on 9 May 2022 at 3:28 pm UTC
slavezeo May 11, 2022
I have an ElGato HD60 S+ and its wonderful. It shows up as a UVC camera (so no drivers needed) and the quality is great. It's kind of pricey though. Normally about 170$ USD but I found it on sale for 120 sometime last year. There is also an ElGato HD60 S (no plus) that is not Linux compatible.

Originally I had a Pluggable NIX USB3 HDMI capture device which was very compatible but had its issues. Honestly though there were plenty of workarounds to the issues and I'd still be using it if I hadn't got the HD60 S+ on sale.
Cyba.Cowboy May 11, 2022
Quoting: slavezeoI have an ElGato HD60 S+ and its wonderful. It shows up as a UVC camera (so no drivers needed) and the quality is great. It's kind of pricey though. Normally about 170$ USD but I found it on sale for 120 sometime last year.

With these "plug-and-play" (UVC) streaming devices, do you need to muck around too much, or do you just select them as a video / sound input source in OBS Studio?
catbox_fugue May 12, 2022
i wish magewell had linux support. sadly they do not
they are also heavy in price but make up for it in performance
https://www.magewell.com/kb/000020014/detail
*edit* to be fair they do have kernel module support and some support articles
but their firmware blobs only have windows & macosx downloads.

by the number of streamers with mixed reviews and some have completely sworn off elgato capture cards because of quality and reliability

so yeah i cant really recommend anything. only capturing i do is from a laserdisc rca to hdmi!

Last edited by catbox_fugue on 12 May 2022 at 5:39 pm UTC
catbox_fugue May 12, 2022
also you will want to note if anything youre using strips HDCP encoding from the source so that you CAN capture it.
slavezeo May 14, 2022
Quoting: Cyba.CowboyWith these "plug-and-play" (UVC) streaming devices, do you need to muck around too much, or do you just select them as a video / sound input source in OBS Studio?

The pluggable NIX I had to mess with a lot to get it set up right. The elgato was pretty much plug it in and select it as a video device on OBS.
ruskie Aug 4, 2022
Quoting: catbox_fuguei wish magewell had linux support. sadly they do not

by the number of streamers with mixed reviews and some have completely sworn off elgato capture cards because of quality and reliability

so yeah i cant really recommend anything. only capturing i do is from a laserdisc rca to hdmi!

Umm I use a magewell USB HDMI capture(Magewell USB Capture HDMI+)(they even mention linux support on their website) - it shows up as a UVC device - no drivers needed. I had some issues with it - as in it only worked reliably on a base USB 3.0 port - 3.1 and higher would cause random lockups of the capture(replug)(solved it with getting a usb 3.0 pcie controller card).

I've since switched to a black magic PCIE based capture device that does need their libraries but it works fine with obs. I still use the magewell one as well.
slaapliedje Aug 4, 2022
Quoting: ruskie
Quoting: catbox_fuguei wish magewell had linux support. sadly they do not

Umm I use a magewell USB HDMI capture(Magewell USB Capture HDMI+)(they even mention linux support on their website) - it shows up as a UVC device - no drivers needed. I had some issues with it - as in it only worked reliably on a base USB 3.0 port - 3.1 and higher would cause random lockups of the capture(replug)(solved it with getting a usb 3.0 pcie controller card).

I've since switched to a black magic PCIE based capture device that does need their libraries but it works fine with obs. I still use the magewell one as well.
Kind of sucks that after all the many years of USB, there are such incompatibilities. I have read how with some VR headsets, they don't like particular chipsets, I have had a cheaper USB to MIDI adapter block my computer from booting (worked fine if I plugged it in after boot).

The Blackmagick hardware does seem to have great Linux support at least!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.