Join us on our own very special Reddit on /r/Linuxers.
Freesync on Linux
Does VRR being enabled out of the box on Plasma Wayland make it the go-to DE for gaming purposes? Or is Freesync something that's overblown and doesn't really matter?
For reference- VRR on Linux is only supported natively with Plasma Wayland, and a sloppy implementation in xorg that requires configuration and Tearfree to be disabled to truly work.
When I'm here id like to correct 2 misconceptions regarding Freesync, first being that it doesn't affect gameplay recordings with OBS.. It does. It is the main reason I hop distros. Recordings end up choppy, Skippy, the opposite of smooth, when my refresh rate cannot fluctuate on this 144hz monitor. It is the reason I'm rallying for Gnome Wayland VRR, as wonderful as it is without Freesync it is not suited for gaming.
Shmerl 23 May
I don't see a reason not to enable it. Adaptive sync supersedes tearfree, so that's not an issue.

I haven't used OBS, so not sure why that would be affected by it. If it is - you can file a bug.

Last edited by Shmerl on 23 May 2022 at 9:26 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: Liberapay or PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.