Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Solus needs your help
It is true that since Josh left, development has slowed down. At this point i wouldn't consider it maintenance but damage control. Go on their forums or Dev page and you can see they are desperate for some manpower.
I feel the need to come sing Solus' praises before it dies. I love this distro to death, it was one I felt pride in using, the fastest out-of-the-box indie-curated-rolling desktop distro. To see this team unable to handle the workload, and for it to affect the userbase, upsets me very much.
For those unaware the distro has slowed down. Still on 5.15 and weary to go further due to inability to handle kernel and mesa regressions. LSI, once a killer app, now needs to be disabled or more games don't run. There are 1-2 people trying to figure this issue out, with little progress being made.
I am weary now, because this sounds familiar. It sounds like a distro straight up dying.
I have offered to help as I am passionate about Solus, it was the only distro I felt comfortable recommending in its hayday. Is there noone in this community with enough force behind them to give them a little boost? How is J and everyone else just okay with letting the distro fall into a landslide? This is an opportunity to get involved with Linux, help make it better.. Please let's not let Solus just die..
GustyGhost 23 May
Any chance you think that Solus might be able to pull a Razor-qt+LXDE-qt style merger with another project?
infernelu 26 May
sorry to hear that. used and liket the distro :(
I see they currently have over $13,000 sitting in their Open Collective. Is using some of that to fund some short term outside help not an option ? Also i'm happy they're on 5.15. They had been stuck on 5.14 which was EOL, at least 5.15 is an LTS kernel.

Last edited by PublicNuisance on 27 May 2022 at 5:22 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: Liberapay or PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.