Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Super Bomberman R Online is great!
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Pengling May 28, 2022
Anyone else playing this free-to-play 64-player online battle royale version of Bomberman? The options for Linux users are Steam using Proton (works perfectly, but has some minor graphical glitches on some setups in my experience), and Stadia. Trailer here.

I've been getting back into it lately with the Steam version (I originally played it on the Nintendo Switch), and just got my first ever "Bomber One" victory a short time ago whilst getting in a quick game on my usually-non-gaming laptop (which needs all of the graphics settings on minimum to get it running smoothly);

What I really like is how fair and well-balanced it is, considering that it's a free-to-play title from a company whose reputation has not been fantastic over the last several years - it offers a lot of entertainment without putting on any pressure to splash the cash. I also quite like how the PC settings are stored separately from your main save-file, so it doesn't cause any issues if you're using Steam Cloud to play across multiple machines with different specs.

The unlockable cosmetics are great fun too, of course. I quite like this one, myself.

Last edited by Pengling on 28 May 2022 at 1:21 pm UTC
AngryAnt May 28, 2022
It's super popular with the 10yo and friends - part of my list of popular games in my reply to the games for kids thread. I've not played bomber myself in ages, but it plays super slick on Proton and the kids are having an absolute blast (tehee).

Last edited by AngryAnt on 28 May 2022 at 4:34 pm UTC
Mezron May 28, 2022
I play that all the time via Stadia. One of my most played online MP games outside of Fightcade.
Pengling Jun 1, 2022
Since online-only games like this are ephemeral, I've been making sure to enjoy Super Bomberman R Online while it's here, but it's just been announced that the game will be closed down on December 1st of this year. That makes my timing for this thread absolutely terrible.

I do feel glad that I never felt a need to spend any money on it, I must say! But still, it's a shame - it's actually a really good title that deserved to have a longer lifespan than it's getting.
infernelu Jun 1, 2022
Going to give it a try with my friends. Thank you.
Mezron Jun 1, 2022
AngryAnt Jun 1, 2022
Ah crap! Sorry I didn’t realise there were multiple versions of the game. The one the kids have been playing is just R - sans Online, which looks to be continued just fine post that deadline.

Phew! Was halfway into damage control mode here :P
Pengling Jun 2, 2022
Quoting: AngryAntAh crap! Sorry I didn’t realise there were multiple versions of the game. The one the kids have been playing is just R - sans Online, which looks to be continued just fine post that deadline.
Yeah, they're two completely different games! Super Bomberman R was originally a launch-title for the Nintendo Switch, and was a long-wished-for revival for the Bomberman series (the only thing wrong with it was that its online mode wasn't great, and they addressed that too late). Super Bomberman R Online uses the same engine, but is otherwise unrelated - they would've been much better off just calling it "Bomberman Battle Royale" or similar, since that's what it is.

I'm sure that the naming confusion didn't help the spin-off game to live longer!
aarjav Jun 12, 2022
This game is pure fun to multiple friends. Nice graphics and nice atmosphere.
Craggles086 Jun 12, 2022
I bought the game and almost asked for my money back, the response time felt terrible,
and to tell the truth would prefer to play the original bomber man.

A lot of the reskins of the originals just feel like inferior products.
Pengling Jun 13, 2022
Quoting: Craggles086I bought the game and almost asked for my money back, the response time felt terrible,
and to tell the truth would prefer to play the original bomber man.
Super Bomberman R Online was/is a free-to-play title with a paid element, but they stopped allowing payments for it on June 1st. I'm guessing that you picked up Super Bomberman R? They're actually completely unrelated games, barring the engine.

At any rate, Super Bomberman R is supposed to feel a lot like the SNES titles that it follows on from; I first played it back at its original release on the Nintendo Switch (for which it was a launch-game and timed exclusive), and never encountered any issues with responsiveness or the like. Unless that's unique to the PC port, which is unfortunate, as I was considering re-buying it because I missed it after I ditched the Switch.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.