please reccomend me some games XD
Joel8200 Jun 23, 2022
hello all!

so im looking for some great linux games if anyone could recommend me something, free or non-free or even through wine.

i like games like resident evil, gta, mmorpg's, just trying to find something worth playing on linux
Anza Jun 24, 2022
I haven't actually played any of those. But I can recommend at least something in that direction.

For GTA, there's its sillier cousin Saints Row. 2,3 and 4 have native Linux ports. If I remember correctly, port quality improved on each installment and games also get sillier and sillier. Second one is still kind of serious. I have no idea how well the ports still work, but I guess there's always Proton.

For Resident Evil, Steam suggested Dying Light. It's basically zombie game with parkour and especially at the beginning, parkour is the best option. And after you have gotten used to daytime, nighttime has even more horrors.

Also while there are guns, they attract way too much attention, some it's more melee focused game.

Dying Light 2 has also been out for a while, though for that you need to use Proton.

If Dying Light is too expensive for some reason, there's Dead Island from same developer. Might not be as fun after you have played Dying Light though.

As for the MMORPG:s, there are many native ones. Though for the native games, they are on the less popular side as a whole. As I don't play MMORPGS, I don't know how many of them work with Proton. Steam Deck support was unsupported for the few trending ones, but protondb might could disagree.
robvv Jun 24, 2022
For Linux, there is the MMORPG Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues. I haven't played it in a while but I recall performance was quite good.

The three Dragon Age games work excellently through Proton, though DAO and DAII need a little tinkering at first.

My other choices of games may not be up your street, but I hope this helps
denyasis Jun 24, 2022
I'll second Dying Light. Very fun
buono Jun 25, 2022
Currently Red Dead Redemption 2 is on sale at half price on steam - about £27

Just started it up again after not playing it for a while, and it's working nicely via Proton.

Last edited by buono on 25 June 2022 at 2:16 pm UTC
GustyGhost Jun 26, 2022
Quoting: Anzathere's its sillier cousin Saints Row. 2,3 and 4 have native Linux ports.

The Saints Row games are done in a wrapper, Eon (I think it was Feral?), and the performance reflects that decision. Saints Row 2's notoriously poor performing PC port is made even worse by running in an additional abstraction layer.
Anza Jun 26, 2022
Quoting: GustyGhost
Quoting: Anzathere's its sillier cousin Saints Row. 2,3 and 4 have native Linux ports.

The Saints Row games are done in a wrapper, Eon (I think it was Feral?), and the performance reflects that decision. Saints Row 2's notoriously poor performing PC port is made even worse by running in an additional abstraction layer.

Those ports are done by Virtual Programming. eOn is their technology.

Looks like Saints Row 2 is not going to run good on anything else than the original Xbox hardware. Rest might benefit from better hardware. Assuming the games still work.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.