Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
XCOM 2 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found
Koopacabras Sep 22, 2022
hi guys I cannot launch XCOM2 don't know why I get this errors
/disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by /disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2)
/disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: version `OPENLDAP_2.4_2' not found (required by /disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/../lib/x86_64/libcurl.so.4)
/disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblber-2.4.so.2: version `OPENLDAP_2.4_2' not found (required by /disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/../lib/x86_64/libcurl.so.4)
/disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.1' not found (required by /disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/../lib/x86_64/libcurl.so.4)
/disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by /disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/../lib/x86_64/libcurl.so.4)
/disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by /disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/../lib/x86_64/libcurl.so.4)
Game process removed: AppID 268500 "/home/joaco1/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=268500 -- '/disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/XCOM2.sh'", ProcID 14375 
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 143
denyasis Sep 22, 2022
You appear to be missing some libraries:

libldap_r-2.4.so.2
libcrypto.so.1.0.0
liblber-2.4.so.2
libssl.so.1.0.0

I copied and posted the names from the error log you provided.

Xcom2 is not a very new game and for some reason I think SSL had some major changes some years ago. My guess is that you have newer versions of these libraries with higher version numbers.

A solution I've used in the past is to make a symlink with the missing library's name linked to the newer library.

Alternatively, you could always use WINE/PROTON. Sadly a lot of older native games struggle on modern Linux systems... I'm beginning to realize I'm some cases it's not the game.
Koopacabras Sep 23, 2022
hi I appreciate your answer. I resorted to use steam flatpak version, but I still find it a little weird because the other way to fix this type of stuff on older games was to use Steam linux Runtime, but for some reason that doesn't work with this game. With Flatpak it runs just perfectly fine. Proton wasn't cutting it for me because it had issues with the escape key.
dvd Sep 25, 2022
Quoting: denyasisYou appear to be missing some libraries:

libldap_r-2.4.so.2
libcrypto.so.1.0.0
liblber-2.4.so.2
libssl.so.1.0.0

I copied and posted the names from the error log you provided.

Xcom2 is not a very new game and for some reason I think SSL had some major changes some years ago. My guess is that you have newer versions of these libraries with higher version numbers.

A solution I've used in the past is to make a symlink with the missing library's name linked to the newer library.

Alternatively, you could always use WINE/PROTON. Sadly a lot of older native games struggle on modern Linux systems... I'm beginning to realize I'm some cases it's not the game.

In this case it's clearly the game, openssl 1.0.0 went out of support before it released:

QuoteOpenSSL 1.0.0 is out of support since 1st January 2016 and no longer receiving updates.
denyasis Sep 25, 2022
That is true. The game was released in February of 2016, one month later. And the engine is even older. Clearly the code base would have been done in 2015. I presume you have to make some level of assumption of a target system and library during development, likely years in advance.

I'd expect some level of support /backwards compatibility from a Linux system for a month. I'd even expect it a number of years later. I don't think 6 years is too hard to ask of a Linux system either. To be fair, it does say something about the OS when the most common solution offered for people having issues with the native version of an older game is to use the Windows version. That is an OS issue I would argue.

I'm glad the flatpack solved the issue in the end. I really like the prospect of flatpacks bundling older libraries to preserve compatibility with older games. I think it would solve a lot of issues with older games (I hope!).
dvd Sep 25, 2022
Quoting: denyasisThat is true. The game was released in February of 2016, one month later. And the engine is even older. Clearly the code base would have been done in 2015. I presume you have to make some level of assumption of a target system and library during development, likely years in advance.

I'd expect some level of support /backwards compatibility from a Linux system for a month. I'd even expect it a number of years later. I don't think 6 years is too hard to ask of a Linux system either. To be fair, it does say something about the OS when the most common solution offered for people having issues with the native version of an older game is to use the Windows version. That is an OS issue I would argue.

I'm glad the flatpack solved the issue in the end. I really like the prospect of flatpacks bundling older libraries to preserve compatibility with older games. I think it would solve a lot of issues with older games (I hope!).

Openssl seems to have a 6 year support on their (long term) releases. It's not like it just popped up in 2015 and support ended in a month. In that time you even get new windows versions.
denyasis Sep 25, 2022
Quoting: dvd
Quoting: denyasisThat is true. The game was released in February of 2016, one month later. And the engine is even older. Clearly the code base would have been done in 2015. I presume you have to make some level of assumption of a target system and library during development, likely years in advance.

Openssl seems to have a 6 year support on their (long term) releases. It's not like it just popped up in 2015 and support ended in a month. In that time you even get new windows versions.

That's a good point. But since the game came out after support ended and it seemed to have worked then, the "Linux system" clearly would have had to provide some form of backwards compatibility, right? At some point, we stopped providing that. Note the quote you posted. It said they are not updating it beyond 2016, not that it will be non functional or removed from systems in 2016.

I think that's the part that's up for debate. How long to we keep these old libraries around? Like you mentioned, even Windows versions change, but it's fairly trivial to run software on Windows from 10-20 years ago. They keep a lot of stuff. Should we do that? How long do we hang on to libraries like python2 or systems like openGL? Mesa is dropping support for older hardware from 2007. Too early? To late?

That's why some of the sandboxing tech is really cool. We're gonna need a "dosbox" of Linux at some point to run older stuff.
x_wing Sep 25, 2022
Try renaming libcurl.so.4 to libcurl.old.so.4 in the game lib folder (i.e. /disk5/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/../lib/x86_64), that way it can use your system libcurl version and, hopefully, the game will run just fine.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.