You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Installing Steam via Flatpak
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
14 Sep 26, 2022
I read an article recently in the Linux Format magazine where a Pop!_OS developer recommended installing Steam via Flatpak. IIRC, it was because of the 32-bit libraries Steam depends upon and ease of migrating the program to a new system.

We got any battle experience here? Anyone rockin' that setup and have a story to tell?

The thought is intriguing, but I don't want to add more things to troubleshoot to my system.
WorMzy Sep 27, 2022
Not used it myself, but it's documented on the ArchiWiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Steam#Alternative_Flatpak_installation

Seems pretty straightforward.
Craggles086 Sep 28, 2022
So where doesFlatpak store the home/.options files. I once installed NetHack as a Snap. Installed the latest version no probs. But could not for the life of me work out where the options were saved
BlackBloodRum Sep 28, 2022
Quoting: Craggles086So where doesFlatpak store the home/.options files. I once installed NetHack as a Snap. Installed the latest version no probs. But could not for the life of me work out where the options were saved
Not specific to Steam per-say, but generally you'll find flatpak configuration and other files in "~/.var/app/appname".
CyborgZeta Sep 29, 2022
Quoting: 14I read an article recently in the Linux Format magazine where a Pop!_OS developer recommended installing Steam via Flatpak. IIRC, it was because of the 32-bit libraries Steam depends upon and ease of migrating the program to a new system.

We got any battle experience here? Anyone rockin' that setup and have a story to tell?

The thought is intriguing, but I don't want to add more things to troubleshoot to my system.
I use the Steam Flatpak. What did you want to know?
14 Sep 30, 2022
> We got any battle experience here? Anyone rockin' that setup and have a story to tell?

Can be translated as:

Have you overcome any hurdles? Have you gone through an experience using it that is noteworthy enough to share?
minfaer Sep 30, 2022
A thing that I found irritating at first: when a game crashed, something in the sandbox could become a zombie, preventing the game from restarting. Killing the game from steam end even exiting steam would not help as the sandbox kept running until I rebooted the machine (really annoying if you also have other stuff running).
Even though I never found the right process to kill with ps, after some time I learned aboutthe good commands to fix this:
flatpak ps and flatpak kill to find and kill the zombie instance.
CyborgZeta Sep 30, 2022
Quoting: 14> We got any battle experience here? Anyone rockin' that setup and have a story to tell?

Can be translated as:

Have you overcome any hurdles? Have you gone through an experience using it that is noteworthy enough to share?
Well, I have never been able to get Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines to work. Modded with the Unofficial Patch or un-modded. Never works.

You have to use flatpak override to get any external drives you have recognized. The Flathub page tells you how to do this.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.valvesoftware.Steam

Proton-GE and MangoHUD both have Flatpak builds, so you can easily install and use them without ProtonUp-Qt or the AUR. MangoHUD can also be easily configured to apply to every game.

Last edited by CyborgZeta on 30 September 2022 at 9:56 pm UTC
dpanter Oct 1, 2022
Steam flatpak causes endless issues. Have fun if you go that route.
14 Oct 1, 2022
Thanks for the responses. I think I don't want to add complication. :)
dvd Oct 1, 2022
Quoting: CyborgZeta
Quoting: 14> We got any battle experience here? Anyone rockin' that setup and have a story to tell?

Can be translated as:

Well, I have never been able to get Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines to work. Modded with the Unofficial Patch or un-modded. Never works.

You have to use flatpak override to get any external drives you have recognized. The Flathub page tells you how to do this.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.valvesoftware.Steam

Proton-GE and MangoHUD both have Flatpak builds, so you can easily install and use them without ProtonUp-Qt or the AUR. MangoHUD can also be easily configured to apply to every game.

I think that might be due to steam or the fatpack. I played the gog version through last year using conty/wine-portable without any tinkering, it just worked out of the box.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.