You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Installing Steam via Flatpak
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
CyborgZeta Oct 1, 2022
Quoting: dvd
Quoting: CyborgZeta
Quoting: 14> We got any battle experience here? Anyone rockin' that setup and have a story to tell?

Can be translated as:

Have you overcome any hurdles? Have you gone through an experience using it that is noteworthy enough to share?
Well, I have never been able to get Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines to work. Modded with the Unofficial Patch or un-modded. Never works.

You have to use flatpak override to get any external drives you have recognized. The Flathub page tells you how to do this.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.valvesoftware.Steam

Proton-GE and MangoHUD both have Flatpak builds, so you can easily install and use them without ProtonUp-Qt or the AUR. MangoHUD can also be easily configured to apply to every game.

I think that might be due to steam or the fatpack. I played the gog version through last year using conty/wine-portable without any tinkering, it just worked out of the box.
It's probably related to the Steam Flatpak. I know, because using Steam installed via Pacman, I can boot up and play VtMB no problem.

At this point in time though, it no longer bugs me. Not only do I not particularly enjoy playing VtMB anymore, but since the Steam Flatpak works with everything else, I'm not interested in dwelling on one particular game.
dvd Oct 7, 2022
Quoting: 14> We got any battle experience here? Anyone rockin' that setup and have a story to tell?

Can be translated as:

Have you overcome any hurdles? Have you gone through an experience using it that is noteworthy enough to share?
Well, I have never been able to get Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines to work. Modded with the Unofficial Patch or un-modded. Never works.

You have to use flatpak override to get any external drives you have recognized. The Flathub page tells you how to do this.

Proton-GE and MangoHUD both have Flatpak builds, so you can easily install and use them without ProtonUp-Qt or the AUR. MangoHUD can also be easily configured to apply to every game.

I think that might be due to steam or the fatpack. I played the gog version through last year using conty/wine-portable without any tinkering, it just worked out of the box.
It's probably related to the Steam Flatpak. I know, because using Steam installed via Pacman, I can boot up and play VtMB no problem.

At this point in time though, it no longer bugs me. Not only do I not particularly enjoy playing VtMB anymore, but since the Steam Flatpak works with everything else, I'm not interested in dwelling on one particular game.

One thing i'm wondering thogh, can you get rid of the multiarch mode on the host with the flatpak?
CyborgZeta Oct 7, 2022

Can be translated as:

One thing i'm wondering thogh, can you get rid of the multiarch mode on the host with the flatpak?
Multiarch mode? Can you explain that for me?
dvd Oct 7, 2022

Can be translated as:

Does the flatpak have all the 32 bit libraries so i dont have to install them on the host?
minfaer Oct 7, 2022

Can be translated as:

Does the flatpak have all the 32 bit libraries so i dont have to install them on the host?

They come from flatpak as a runtime, (I think by freedesktop) so you don't have to install them system-wide, and it's not a problem if your distro stops packaging them.

Of course, in addition to the flatpak runtime, steam will install its own runtime for the games, duplicating many libraries, but that's no different from installing the deb/rpm.
CyborgZeta Oct 8, 2022

Can be translated as:

Yes. What the above guy said, essentially.
Craggles086 Oct 22, 2022
Still a big no from me for both the Flatpak and the Snappy thing.

Cannot believe there are no performance regressions. Just cause Ars suggests it is bleeding edge does not mean anything.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/steam-for-linux-snap-package-gets-bleeding-edge-mesa-libraries-baked-in/
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.