Some DX11 games have become a stutter fest after nvidia driver update 515.75
Thetargos Oct 2, 2022
Hello all.

Recently I have noticed that ever since driver 515 was made available most of my Dx11 games have become all stuttery. At first with 515.62 I thought it was due to usual nvidia nuances, that at times even the use use of the desktop (GNOME in my case) felt jerky. I especially noticed these stutters in UE4 games, specifically It Takes Two, that I played a couple of weeks ago with my daughter, and now (after the update to 515.75) with Jedi:Fallen Order, I notice the stutters are literally out of control, to the point of making these games unplayable, even when I see "good framerates" and worse, according to Mango Hud, good timings.

Just wanted to chime in and ask if anyone else has noticed this as well... In the mean time, while GNOME is my preferred DE, I'll be installing a couple others (namely LXDE and XFCE, as I DESPISE KDE) and test without compositing and with compositing...

Pertinent system specs:

• OS Fedora 36 with kernel 5.19.12

• GPU nVidia GeForce RTX 3080

• CPU Ryzen R9 3900X

• RAM 48 GiB DDR 4 3200
Xpander Oct 5, 2022
Switch to vulkan dev drivers (currently 515.49.19) and use proton-experimental to make use of graphics pipeline library, that takes care of all the stuttering. UE4 games may still have few stutters though.
Thetargos Oct 11, 2022
Well after some days of testing. I can say that vanilla GNOME and nVidia do not play well together, whether it is due to a long standing GTK3 (rendering slow on nVidia) bug or something else, I do not know. I'll wait for the nest driver update and test again (or wait to see reports of F37 and GNOME 43).

In the mean time, and having a "familiar" environment (though I am not too fond of the Windows-like paradigm) I've set on Cinnamon for the time being as it does not have the slows downs and after configuration gives me an environment sufficiently similar to that of GNOME, and yields performance comparable to just running a WM, LXDE and XFCE on my system.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.