Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Experiences with KDE Neon (Ubuntu 22.04 version) and Steam
sa666666 Nov 2, 2022
So, I'm trying to install Steam on KDE Neon that has been recently rebased against Ubuntu 22.04. Problem is, some of the i386 libs needed by Steam aren't included in KDE Neon (which doesn't do i386 builds at all). And I can't drop back to the libs from Ubuntu 22.04 itself, else other packages in the repo give problems (SDL being a major one, but there are others).

Does anyone here use KDE Neon 22.04 and Steam? If so, how did you get it working??
Big_and_donkey Nov 6, 2022
Is there a reason you need the .deb package of Steam? Otherwise I would recommend using the flatpak of Steam since it includes all required libraries.

Note: I don't use KDE Neon myself but have used a lot of niche/non-standard distros and there has never been an issue when using Steam in flatpak. Currently gaming happily on Guix

Last edited by Big_and_donkey on 6 November 2022 at 1:14 am UTC
sa666666 Nov 6, 2022
I ended up solving the problem for now by repackaging the i386 libwayland-xxx packages from Ubuntu with the names from Neon. That allowed me to install them, and now Steam is working fine.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.