Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Penguins in Gaming
Page: 1/4»
  Go to:
Pengling Nov 13, 2022
This is a Linux-gaming site, so I thought that it might be fun for there to be a place to share screenshots of penguins that you've spotted whilst playing games on Linux. Per GOL's own policies, they don't have to be exclusively from native titles - just titles that can be played on Linux by whatever means you prefer!

This post was inspired by a post by StoneColdSpider in the (at the time of writing) current Weekend Play List thread.

These are the ones that I've spotted so far throughout my gaming in 2022;

Blazing Beaks (PC) features a penguin as one of its playable characters.

Bomberman '93 (PC Engine/Turbo-Grafx-16) has green penguin enemies in its ice levels.

The snow area in Bomberman '94 (PC Engine/Turbo-Grafx-16)/Mega Bomberman (Mega Drive/Genesis) features penguins in the background. The large penguins wear rocket-launchers which occasionally fire onto the stage as a hazard.

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PlayStation) features penguins in some of its ice stages - they leap out of pools of water and slide across the ground, getting in the way.

An enemy called a "Lemguin" is found in a few of the snow levels in Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (SNES). They leap out of burrows and then hurl themselves along the ground and off of cliffs in an attempt to collide with the player.

Kirby's usually-friendly-rival King Dedede, the final boss of Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy), is a penguin.

Robot penguin enemies appear in Mega Man 8 (Saturn).

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Mega Drive/Genesis) also has robot penguin enemies.

Super Bomberman 2 (SNES) has penguin enemies with an exaggerated waddle in its toy-themed stages.

Super Bomberman 3 (SNES) features goofy bow-tie wearing penguin enemies in its chilly levels.

Super Bomberman 5 sees a reappearance from the penguin enemies from Super Bomberman 2, in the same toyland habitat as before.

SuperTux (PC) is a very obvious game to mention on a Linux-gaming website, since Tux the Linux Penguin is its protagonist, so here it is!

The Supervisor - the stereotypical police-chief-style character from The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game (PC) - is a penguin.

Armoured penguin foes appear in Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy) - they throw a spiked ball weapon at Wario.

What are your video game penguin sightings on Linux?

Last edited by Pengling on 13 November 2022 at 6:37 am UTC
StoneColdSpider Nov 13, 2022
Well since my images where the inspiration...... Might as well post them here as well :yongue:

Yes there is a Penguin team to unlock in this game and by law you must unlock this team first if you are playing on Linux…..
Screenshot from NFL Blitz Pro (2003 Midway) - Sony PlayStation 2

Here are the Linux Penguins in formation ready for a play………

Looking for an open receiver…….

Running (woddling) for a Touchdown!!!
StoneColdSpider Nov 13, 2022

Pittsburgh Penguins
Screenshot from ESPN NHL 2K5 (2004 Sega) - Sony PlayStation 2

Pittsburgh Penguins
Screenshot from NHL 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2

I could do this for every NHL game ever made....... But I wont
BlackBloodRum Nov 27, 2022
Do these guys count?

From Planet Zoo (works well under proton by the way!):

Last edited by BlackBloodRum on 27 November 2022 at 4:38 pm UTC
Pengling Nov 27, 2022
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI could do this for every NHL game ever made....... But I wont
Haha, I'll allow it because their mascot is a literal penguin and this made me laugh.

Quoting: BlackBloodRumDo these guys count?
Of course they count - and they're adorable, too!

I've got a couple more screenshots to add, myself;

Bomberman '94 (PC Engine)/Mega Bomberman (Mega Drive) features a penguin chilling out next to a snowman on the snow-area segment of the map-screen.

The protagonist of Yume Pengin Monogatari (also available fan-translated into English as "Dream Penguin Adventure") (NES), Penta, is a very fat penguin who has to get fit over the course of the game.

Last edited by Pengling on 27 November 2022 at 5:21 pm UTC
StoneColdSpider Dec 4, 2022

Screenshot from Santa Claus Junior (2001 JoWooD) - Nintendo Game Boy Color
whizse Dec 4, 2022
Quoting: PenglingSuperTux (PC) is a very obvious game to mention on a Linux-gaming website, since Tux the Linux Penguin is its protagonist, so here it is!
Let's make things even more obvious!

eldaking Dec 5, 2022
I think an important addition to this thread is the Age of Wonders series, that in all its instances include penguins as a vicious monster. See for example: https://ageofwonders.fandom.com/wiki/Dire_Penguin!

Or in the newest game:
BlackBloodRum Dec 5, 2022
Saints Row The Third:
Saints Row 3 Screenshot 1

Saints Row 3 Screenshot 2

If you shoot it, it bleeds

Saints Row 3 Bleeding Screenshot

Quoting: eldakingpenguins as a vicious monster
I know one on steam, trust me they are.
Pengling Dec 5, 2022
I've got a few more penguin sightings from my retro-gaming adventures;

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PlayStation) features penguins as enemies in its handful of snow levels.

Fire and Ice - The Daring Adventures of Cool Coyote (Amiga) also features penguins as enemy characters.

As a result of being sponsored by British biscuit brand, Penguin (a sponsorship which resulted in Penguin outselling Kit Kat for the first time ever, back in the day), James Pond 2 - Codename: RoboCod (Amiga) features penguin characters who need to be rescued, as well as small toy penguins that appear as collectible items.

A red, white, and green penguin appears as the protagonist in Pengo (Game Gear; Originally an arcade title).

Quoting: whizseLet's make things even more obvious!
I must confess, I've actually never played Tux Racer or Extreme Tux Racer!

Quoting: eldakingSee for example: https://ageofwonders.fandom.com/wiki/Dire_Penguin!
I love this!

Quoting: BlackBloodRumIf you shoot it, it bleeds
Aw, that's mean.

Quoting: BlackBloodRum
Quoting: eldakingpenguins as a vicious monster
I know one on steam, trust me they are.
Say, it wouldn't happen to be that crazy-lady who keeps sending a robot to go and hurl bombs at you, would it? Heheh.
BlackBloodRum Dec 5, 2022
Pingus, best version of lemmings in my opinion!

Quoting: PenglingCrash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PlayStation)
That was going to be my next one!

Quoting: PenglingSay, it wouldn't happen to be that crazy-lady who keeps sending a robot to go and hurl bombs at you, would it? Heheh.
I don't know
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.