Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Emulating a DS4 controller (best case while using game mode)
Senten Nov 29, 2022
Hi there,

I am struggling to find a solution for emulating a Sony DS4 controller on the Steam Deck in order to use it within the Playstation Plus App for cloud game streaming.

Why would I want the Steam Deck controller to appear as a DS4? Many Playstation 4 games require the touchpad (either click or touch swipe) and Steam Input does not give you the opportunity to emulate this or to map a different button to that function (yet?). The only workaround, that I know of, is to use a real DS4 controller connected to the deck, which is a little inconvenient, as I would prefer to use the Steam Deck as a handheld.

In another scenario, where I do not wish to stream from the cloud, but from my local playstation (in-home), there is an application called "Chiaki" that (especially with "Chiaki4Deck") does exactly that -> I can map the Steam Deck's touchpads or any other input to the PS-Touchpad. Unfortunately Streaming from the Cloud through the local Playstation to the Chiaki-App on Steam Deck is a) a latency nightmare and b) Sony does not allow that and encrypts the stream, so that I can see the video output on my television but not on the Steam Deck (black screen). That is why I would need to use the Playstation Plus App on the Steam Deck, which works perfectly fine with the exception of the touchpad support.

Does anybody know a possible solution to this? Maybe there is some kind of middleware that I could install inside the same Proton-Prefix the PSPlus-App runs in (so that it only runs while I am using the PSPlus-App and not for any other Steam-game)?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Senten
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.