Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Xbox one controller not recognized in game
Psychogun_Cobra Jan 19, 2023
Hi,

I'm trying to play with xbox one controller, it's connected via bluetooth and it seems to work properly through Steam big picture.
There is one problem, in game it's not working. I tested few game, native or proton with no difference.
Running games with xbox 360 controller is OK.
I'm running Debian Bullseye and disable ERTM (cf. https://wiki.debian.org/Gamepad#Troubleshooting)

How can I fix it ?
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Pengling Jan 19, 2023
Just a guess based on similar experiences on Xubuntu with a wired Xbox 360 controller: Does disabling Steam Input make a difference?
Psychogun_Cobra Jan 20, 2023
Quoting: PenglingJust a guess based on similar experiences on Xubuntu with a wired Xbox 360 controller: Does disabling Steam Input make a difference?
Yes, it works
Pengling Jan 20, 2023
Quoting: Psychogun_CobraYes, it works
Fantastic!

From what I've read, what happens in this case is that games are seeing Steam Input's "virtual" controller as a real one, and then picking up the physical controller as that of player two, which causes various problems. I gather that this is an old bug, so it seems odd that it consistently appears on at least some current Debian-based distros. Still, I'm glad that it was easy to fix!

Last edited by Pengling on 20 January 2023 at 2:55 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.