Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Hot Tip! Disable Wine app menu integration to keep your application launcher clean
ridge Mar 12, 2023
Note: This is written from the perspective of a KDE Plasma user using Lutris. I have no idea how this affects GNOME, Xfce, Sway, LXQt or other setups. From what I can gather, you can set DLL overrides in Bottles as well, just poke around for a similar option there if you use that.

One of my big pet peeves when it comes to Wine is how installing Windows software will also create application launcher entries.

If you set this environment variable, Wine will disable the "menu builder" that does this.

WINEDLLOVERRIDES=winemenubuilder.exe=d

You can set this in your environment variables, such as /home/user/.config/environment.d/envvars.conf, and also in Lutris. I set them in both just to be sure.

To set this in Lutris: Open Lutris, click on the "hamburger" menu in the top right then "Preferences". Click "Runners" and scroll down to Wine. Click the config icon to the left of the cardboard box icon, then scroll down to "DLL overrides". In "key", add an entry for "winemenubuilder.exe", in the box to the right enter "d". Remember to click "Save".
Here's a screenshot showing how it should look:

Setting that variable here will set it as default for every Wine game you add and install in Lutris.

Why?
If you're like me, you prefer to make entries for Windows software yourself, or not at all. It should also prevent Wine from creating entries for its implementation of notepad.exe and other apps, which has the added benefit of it not hijacking filetype associations.

I install all my Windows games in separate Wine prefixes, and I keep entries for all of them in Lutris. So I don't want them showing up in my application launcher, I launch Lutris, the game, and that will be that.

Was a nice little surprise to discover this could be disabled, so hopefully this helps someone else as well :)

Last edited by ridge on 18 March 2023 at 7:40 pm UTC
whizse Mar 12, 2023
In the past I have just nuked ~/.local/share/applications/wine/ every once in a while, but this is much easier. Thanks for the advice!
ridge Mar 12, 2023
Quoting: whizseIn the past I have just nuked ~/.local/share/applications/wine/ every once in a while, but this is much easier. Thanks for the advice!

Same, I got pretty tired of that. I actually discovered this envvar while I was about to start writing a script that would nuke it for me on every boot :P
Glad it helped.

Last edited by ridge on 12 March 2023 at 8:53 pm UTC
BlackBloodRum Mar 13, 2023
That's one option, the other option is to run wine applications within a sandboxed wine, for example using Bottles or Lutris. Then they still get created, just not within your home directory so they don't clutter things up.

Plus being sandboxed you can disable networking and such too.
ridge Mar 13, 2023
Quoting: BlackBloodRumThat's one option, the other option is to run wine applications within a sandboxed wine, for example using Bottles or Lutris. Then they still get created, just not within your home directory so they don't clutter things up.

I never got that to work for some reason, I've set all my Wine prefixes that are managed by Lutris to be sandboxed, but they would still create application menu entries in my Kickoff menu (the default KDE application launcher that appears when you press the meta key).

Nonetheless also a good thing to keep in mind!

Last edited by ridge on 13 March 2023 at 12:07 pm UTC
BlackBloodRum Mar 13, 2023
Quoting: ridge
Quoting: BlackBloodRumThat's one option, the other option is to run wine applications within a sandboxed wine, for example using Bottles or Lutris. Then they still get created, just not within your home directory so they don't clutter things up.

I never got that to work for some reason, I've set all my Wine prefixes that are managed by Lutris to be sandboxed, but they would still create application menu entries in my Kickoff menu (the default KDE application launcher that appears when you press the meta key).

Nonetheless also a good thing to keep in mind!
Just do be clear, was Lutris itself sandboxed? What I meant was to run Lutris (or bottles) within Flatpak. Then simply revoke full filesystem access and only permit directories you have game installers and/or want to install games to.
ridge Mar 14, 2023
Quoting: BlackBloodRumJust do be clear, was Lutris itself sandboxed?

AH! No, that's what escaped me. I don't use Flatpaks or Snaps, so I don't have such fine-grained control. But that's a neat trick to keep in mind if I ever need it.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.