Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Welp, the time has come...
redneckdrow Mar 27, 2023
I'm finally going to try out Citra and/or Cemu after years of waiting tomorrow.

Why did I wait so long? I don't like emulating extant systems, that's why.

Compared to the likes of earlier emulators, setting these up legally is going to be a huge headache. The only console I ever stuck custom firmware on before was my PSP, so I could legally-ish use PPSSPP with my own collection.

But what choice do I have in the wake of the Nenpocalypse 2.0? (Note: 1.0 didn't bother me much. I only have physical Wii games, except for SMRPG.) Sigh.
StoneColdSpider Mar 27, 2023
Good luck mate......
keep us updated on your progress....
Pengling Mar 27, 2023
Welcome to Emulationville - we have candy and cakes!

Seriously, though, best of luck - the more things progress, the trickier this sort of thing seems to get (though I was very pleasantly surprised by how great Dolphin is for the GameCube and Wii, and Citra seemed to be in quite good shape when I last looked into it), so I'm looking forward to hearing about how this goes.

Last edited by Pengling on 27 March 2023 at 2:54 am UTC
redneckdrow Mar 28, 2023
You guys made my day with the encouragement! Many thanks, and blessed be!

Well, here's an update: I've just successfully installed Luma3DS et al. on my New3DSXL using this guide recommended by the citra developers in their FAQ.

I don't recommend doing this without reading thoroughly, as it's much more involved than installing custom on something like the PSP. You have to have a couple of hours free to do this; messing up can brick your system. I also recommend a 32gb (micro)SD(HC) card, any larger and you may have trouble.

Now comes the part about dumping my games/updates/DLC for use in the emulator. Apparently they each have to be done separately. Dumping the AES keys is going to be a pain if it has to be done individually. I'm gonna take a break for tonight to save myself a migraine.

For now, I'm staying away from anything shady... but is it ever a pain to be law-abiding sometimes.

Quoting: PenglingWelcome to Emulationville - we have candy and cakes!

Seriously, though, best of luck - the more things progress, the trickier this sort of thing seems to get (though I was very pleasantly surprised by how great Dolphin is for the GameCube and Wii, and Citra seemed to be in quite good shape when I last looked into it), so I'm looking forward to hearing about how this goes.

Yeah, I've been emulating games since I first bought Sega Smash Pack vol. 3 for Windows back in 2000 years before I even knew what emulation was.

It's come a long way, but man, are the settings for newer console emulators trial and error. Compared to Snes/Genesis/N64 emulation, it's rocket science!

Sometimes ya just wanna be able to play knowhutimean Vern?. (God, I miss Jim Varney; people all over my neck of the holler grew up watching his movies/commercials!)
redneckdrow Mar 29, 2023
Well, so far I've managed to get Fire Emblem: Echoes dumped. It was indeed a PITA; I haven't dumped the DLC yet. That will have to wait.

I've got a busted water heater and on top of that I've got a small creek now running from my utility room to my den. I may be a few days getting back to y'all.
Pengling Apr 8, 2023
My apologies for taking a little bit to reply here!

Quoting: redneckdrowYeah, I've been emulating games since I first bought Sega Smash Pack vol. 3 for Windows back in 2000 years before I even knew what emulation was.
I got started by way of Bleem! back in 1999, due to the simple desire to play my PlayStation discs on my laptop - I got into it thanks to Sony drawing attention to emulation by taking legal action against it.

Long before that, I had a brush with emulation before knowing what it was, WAY back in primary-school, thanks to the Acorn Archimedes being able to emulate its predecessor, the BBC Micro, so it goes back a long way with me!

Quoting: redneckdrowI've got a busted water heater and on top of that I've got a small creek now running from my utility room to my den. I may be a few days getting back to y'all.
Oh yikes! I hope that you were able to sort this out and get back to the emulation gig again!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.