Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Make Notifications more specific
FSFmember May 23, 2023
Let me explain in an example:
USERNAME liked your comment on SOME TOPIC plus 2 more

Here's the problem: plus 2 more - what is it? I want to know what the user liked. Currently, as I noticed, it only displays one (random?) topic but will not show what the "plus X more " is.
Or am I missing something?

Cheers

Last edited by FSFmember on 23 May 2023 at 8:55 pm UTC
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Pengling May 24, 2023
The "plus [however-many] more" part is referring to the number of other users who liked that specific post. I've noticed that this can also sometimes show up when someone has accidentally double-clicked when liking a post, resulting in a like/unlike/re-like, as well (I figured this out after a friend here told me that they'd done this, and it lined up with what I saw in my notifications ).

I've always just seen it as a quirk of the system, but now that I've read your thread, I think that it would be a bit clearer if the wording went like "Username plus 2 more liked your comment on Topic".
FSFmember May 24, 2023
Thanks Pengling, indeed, it makes sense now. I thought when i first saw it that it meant "Username liked your particular post PLUS the same user also liked x more posts that we're not gonna show you"

Felt wrong haha

Cheers

Last edited by FSFmember on 24 May 2023 at 8:28 am UTC
Pengling May 24, 2023
Quoting: FSFmemberThanks Pengling, indeed, it makes sense now. I thought when i first saw it that it meant "Username liked your particular post PLUS the same user also liked x more posts that we're not gonna show you"

Felt wrong haha

Cheers
No problem - glad to help! You're not the only one that got tripped up by that at first - I did too.
Liam Dawe May 24, 2023
I can adjust the wording to be more clear which seems like a fair point.

However:
Quoting: PenglingThe "plus [however-many] more" part is referring to the number of other users who liked that specific post. I've noticed that this can also sometimes show up when someone has accidentally double-clicked when liking a post, resulting in a like/unlike/re-like, as well (I figured this out after a friend here told me that they'd done this, and it lined up with what I saw in my notifications ).
I’ve never had this issue reported and it certainly shouldn’t. Will look into it.
Pengling May 24, 2023
Quoting: Liam DaweI’ve never had this issue reported and it certainly shouldn’t. Will look into it.
It honestly never occurred to me that it was an issue, I must admit - I just figured it was a side-effect of how those notifications work.
Liam Dawe May 24, 2023
The text phrasing and doubling-up likes should be solved going forward.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.