100% Linux now
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
SuperTux Dec 24, 2023
I am guessing everyone will reach a point where they really don't need Windows for anything, I think you'll start to notice your usage of Windows dropping until you're basically only using it for one or two applications or games.

For me, it was always flightsims and Elite D (I haven't yet tried Star Citizen or Microsoft Flightsim, my one issue is low diskspace now). TrackIR implementation into Proton games and pedals not showing under Steam were the two hold ups. Unfortunately Linuxtrack has a bug which prevented Linuxtrack-wine from installing into Proton games, the logs showed me when the script runs it sets WINEARCH to 32 bit, but pfx's for Proton were 64 bit, unfortunately when it got to this it didn't go further (perhaps the program should check the pfx first and set winearch appropriately, or allow a user override)

Now both are fixed, Il2, DCS and Elite run just as well as they did on Windows. I'll probably take the external SSD where MSFS is installed on and reformat it and re-install MSFS again under Linux.

The steps I took are at the bottom of this page:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28335-il-2-sturmovik-battle-of-stalingrad-on-linux/page/2/#comment-1298019

So, what did you fix or make work which enabled you to use Linux fully? What is still holding you back if you haven't been able to switch?
Pengling Dec 24, 2023
Great thread, and congratulations on finally being able to cut those old ties!

Quoting: SuperTuxSo, what did you fix or make work which enabled you to use Linux fully?
I'm afraid that my answer isn't very interesting: I was never dependent on any software that tied me to either Windows or MacOS. I ditched Windows in 2004 and temporarily moved to Macs while waiting for Linux WiFi support to improve a bit (I'm a portables person, so that was a must), and then when it got to where I wanted it to be (which, for me, happened at around the time of the Asus Eee PC, in 2007), it was just a completely smooth transition to Linux.

The key thing for me was that I did my gaming on consoles, so I didn't have that causing any issues with switching OSes. I only started gaming on Linux two years ago, by which point Proton was a decently-well-established thing which opened up a lot of options for me.
SuperTux Dec 24, 2023
Quoting: PenglingGreat thread, and congratulations on finally being able to cut those old ties!

Quoting: SuperTuxSo, what did you fix or make work which enabled you to use Linux fully?
I'm afraid that my answer isn't very interesting: I was never dependent on any software that tied me to either Windows or MacOS. I ditched Windows in 2004 and temporarily moved to Macs while waiting for Linux WiFi support to improve a bit (I'm a portables person, so that was a must), and then when it got to where I wanted it to be (which, for me, happened at around the time of the Asus Eee PC, in 2007), it was just a completely smooth transition to Linux.

The key thing for me was that I did my gaming on consoles, so I didn't have that causing any issues with switching OSes. I only started gaming on Linux two years ago, by which point Proton was a decently-well-established thing which opened up a lot of options for me.

I think its interesting :). Everyone has their own journey. Thank you for sharing yours.
junibegood Dec 24, 2023
When I discovered Proton, it already supported most games I cared about well enough, so gaming was never really an issue for me either.
The biggest step for me was moving away from Lightroom for photography. It was not a technical issue, I never even tried to run Lightroom on Linux, it was just a matter of accepting that I'd lose most of my previous work and have to learn new habits by switching to Darktable.

I did and never looked back.
WorMzy Dec 24, 2023
Congratulations!

I guess games were the only thing stopping me ditching Windows before I purged it back in 2015. Never looked back.
rcrit Dec 24, 2023
I fully switched my desktop from dual-boot to Linux-only in 2000. I have a Mac I barely use except for calculating taxes. I switched my wife to Linux a few years ago but my kids still use Windows. The number of games I can play now vs then is substantial. I wish we had GoL back in the olden days.

I'm not a typical user I suppose. I develop open-source software on Linux and was a *nix sys admin for years as well so I'm comfortable with its idiosyncrasies.
pleasereadthemanual Dec 25, 2023
QuoteWhat is still holding you back if you haven't been able to switch?
Adobe.
StoneColdSpider Dec 25, 2023
Quoting: SuperTuxSo, what did you fix or make work which enabled you to use Linux fully? What is still holding you back if you haven't been able to switch?
Honestly I got so sick of Windows that anything that doesnt work on Linux I just do without...... Which thankfully has been very little at all......
CatKiller Dec 25, 2023
As soon as I tried Linux (nearly 20 years ago now) I realised that I enjoyed using it much more than I enjoyed using Windows. Within a few weeks I noticed that I was doing all my gaming in Linux and only booting into Windows for Thunderbird & Firefox. Easy fix for that.
buono Dec 25, 2023
I ditched windows at the time of windows 2000 and turned to Linux as it reminded me of my early enthusiasm for computers that I had with the zx81 and bbc micro.

At that time you had to be so careful with the hardware you chose - and even then it would still could bite you.

It amazes me now how much I can do and often with better software - although vr is a bit of a sore point :(

Choosing routers to flash openwrt feels a little more like my early days with Linux. I had a lot of fun with the bt homehub v5a which I've had to upgrade to the mercusys mr90x now also flashed with openwrt for full fibre speeds - zoom :).

Quoting: junibegoodThe biggest step for me was moving away from Lightroom for photography. It was not a technical issue, I never even tried to run Lightroom on Linux, it was just a matter of accepting that I'd lose most of my previous work and have to learn new habits by switching to Darktable.

I too have recently been getting into darktable - which is an incredible piece of software with great support behind it. I used to work in an actual darkroom years ago and I am now trying to get my head around raw - very different to GIMP levels and curves :).
BlackBloodRum Dec 25, 2023
Congratulations!

I'll have to try Linux at some point.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.