Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
100% Linux now
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
nat-works Dec 25, 2023
I initially started daily driving linux after a MacOS upgrade broke the text in source games about 5ish years ago I think? I do think once I got a different laptop after that I used windows for about half a year (mostly to see what I was missing out on) but eventually ended up back on linux because I enjoy it better. Big fix for that one was realizing that nvidia optimus was a thing, and that for some reason my computer defaulted to discrete graphics mode in the bios which disabled the screen brightness controls.

Honestly I guess I'm kind of lucky that I don't tend to play the kind of games or have any software I use that straight up doesn't work through compatibility layers. I stopped liking competitive pvp games in general a few years ago, so I rarely play anything with kernel level anticheat.
pentadrago Dec 26, 2023
Some years ago (about 2004) I already was using a linux-only system but as a gamer Steam got me after a while (the famous orange box). Sales lead to playing games I missed out and therefore installing Windows again (getting a Windows license for free at my university may have been another factor).
As we all know lots of things happened and nowaday I'm playing most of my games on Linux either on my desktop PC or my Steam Deck.

QuoteWhat is still holding you back if you haven't been able to switch?
The reasons not to delete the disliked OS are
  • VR: I still use the good old Oculus Rift CV1 and a short test run on Linux was really disappointing

• tax calculation software (WISO): didn't get it running with wine but lost a license due to strange three installs rule

• Fortnite: my nephew plays it and sometimes I check it out, also latest updates saw Harmonix working on a rhythm game which got me curious

Lots of other reasons are disappearing slowly as games switch to Linux friendly anti cheat software. Maybe one day even Fortnite will be playable, but until that happens I won't spend money there.
damarrin Dec 26, 2023
I dabbled with Linux as far back as 2000 probably, but it was just a novelty on the desktop back then. Even within a browser a bunch of things didn't work (Flash!!!), not to mention all the hardware support problems. Even if something was supported, it never worked as well as it did in Windows (slower wifi, screen tearing, etc), even if I kept pretending it was awesome.

I really wanted to like and use Linux because I was already getting fed up with Microsoft being awful (Java, browser "wars", Longhorn, etc.) and the entire world letting them get away with it because don't piss off your benevolent masters or what else are you going to use on your computer? So I really wished you could use something else.

I got a Mac around 2005 because of the gorgeous hardware and I wanted a useful computer that wouldn't be running Windows and went through that phase. Apple changed from fairly good to pretty dire when it comes to computers, so I'm not much a Mac person anymore (except the iPhone, it's pretty great and I'm not interested in the spyware that is Android).

Since probably 2014 I've been running Linux exclusively on my Apple hardware and when Apple made that impossible I've been using crappy laptops I can get without a system. I'm still using one from some years ago that's been running serviceably well and once it isn't I'll get something from Tuxedo. I still wish I could use Apple hardware, it looks great and they make excellent batteries that work for ages (in years, not hours).
LoudTechie Jan 10
Quoting: SuperTuxI am guessing everyone will reach a point where they really don't need Windows for anything, I think you'll start to notice your usage of Windows dropping until you're basically only using it for one or two applications or games.

For me, it was always flightsims and Elite D (I haven't yet tried Star Citizen or Microsoft Flightsim, my one issue is low diskspace now). TrackIR implementation into Proton games and pedals not showing under Steam were the two hold ups. Unfortunately Linuxtrack has a bug which prevented Linuxtrack-wine from installing into Proton games, the logs showed me when the script runs it sets WINEARCH to 32 bit, but pfx's for Proton were 64 bit, unfortunately when it got to this it didn't go further (perhaps the program should check the pfx first and set winearch appropriately, or allow a user override)

Now both are fixed, Il2, DCS and Elite run just as well as they did on Windows. I'll probably take the external SSD where MSFS is installed on and reformat it and re-install MSFS again under Linux.

The steps I took are at the bottom of this page:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28335-il-2-sturmovik-battle-of-stalingrad-on-linux/page/2/#comment-1298019

So, what did you fix or make work which enabled you to use Linux fully? What is still holding you back if you haven't been able to switch?

I used a very crappy chrome book back in elementary. First version, free of invasive school ware.
When I went to middle I switched to a Windows computer.
Back than I was already quite interested in FOSS ware.
Kali linux was my first.
Needed to switch to libre office, but that was mostly painless. Had to learn the hard way that you never ever upload .od* files to non-techie users. They won't even try opening it.
Switched, because of DE issues.
Am now a happy Debian stable user and when I'm lucky a ReformOS user.
Well for me, it was that my first laptop's hard-drive broke (it was a very-old, used system) and when I fixed it I wasn't going to pay for a window's key. So I put Linux on it. I didn't have any software other than already free, open source stuff, so I didn't lose my workflow.

After another used laptop (also Linux) I bought a system76 and I don't see me hopping off Linux anytime yet.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.