Now that Paradox Interactive own the rights to Prison Architect, with Double Eleven handling the development they've released the first PC DLC with Psych Ward: Warden's Edition.
This is an upgraded version of a DLC pack that consoles had for a while, so it's good to see it actually land for PC players too. You can see the trailer below:
- Plead Insanity: Criminally insane inmates are unpredictable, require special care, and have their own Reputation traits for you to consider when building your prison. Let them co-exist with the general population or lock them away in a padded cell, how you manage their needs is up to you!
- Shrinks: Any prison holding the criminally insane needs a team of Psychiatrists and trained Orderlies to keep everything under control. These valuable prison staff can sedate rowdy prisoners or pull out the straitjackets when things get too rough.
- Doctor’s Note: Provide counseling to the criminally insane with the new Psychiatrist’s Office and new consultation Programs. Improve their sessions by upgrading the office with leather sofas, medicine cabinets, Rorschach tests, and more.
- Good Behavior: Your inmates now have a wide range of new behaviors players will need to manage. They start out harmless, but if left untreated, they can turn violent or attempt to escape.
- It’s Gone Viral: Treat your regular inmates with care. Subjecting your inmates to excessive suppression or punishment can cause them to turn criminally insane.
- Extra Padding: Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition adds padded cells and padded floors along with a bundle of other new objects, floors, and wall types to customize your prison. Now you can easily build a dedicated wing for the criminally insane.
- Tools of the Trade: Additional contraband, including Adrenaline Shots, Fountain Pens (Shanks), and Gold Pocket Watches, can be stolen by your prisoners, or by you in Escape Mode.
If you don't fancy paying the £4.79 / $5.99 / €5.99 for the DLC, the good news is like Paradox Interactive do for their other games a big update is now available for everyone named The Sneezer.
This free update includes quite a lot actually as well. You can now add Windows to both sides of a vertical wall, there's new floors, new doors, new signs and there's multiple new objects to place around your prison. Additionally there's multiple new dog types, bridges have been added, the Flooring menu got a search bar, Foundations can be built with more types of walls, Fog of War can be turned off mid-game and the list goes on for a while. Double Eleven also improved various existing features. You can see the full patch notes for the free The Sneezer update here.
Quick tip: On Manjaro (and possibly other distributions), the Paradox Launcher will appear and quickly vanish resulting in you unable to launch directly from Steam. A quick fix is to add this launch option:
For me, that solved it and the launcher now works perfectly.