Drox Operative 2 from Soldak Entertainment has now been officially announced, and they have already confirmed that it will be continuing to support Linux. It's a starship action RPG with warring alien races, fierce space battles, a dynamic evolving galaxy, and co-op multiplayer.
The story goes that the Drox were once a powerful, and quite ruthless race that ruled the galaxy using their Drox Operatives. Things went sour, the Drox tried to destroy the Operatives realizing they were a threat and a devestating war caused the majority of the Drox to go extinct. The Drox Operative guild, now fully independent, survived. Now, many younger races are trying expand across the stars and it's your job to pick the winning side.
No trailer yet, however the developer did provide some fresh screenshots you can see below.
- Explore a dynamic and evolving galaxy
- Explore a unique sector of the galaxy in every game, with different "monsters", ship components, quests, and even races
- Fight in the galactic war between the various alien races
- Battle hundreds of different enemy starships
- Build the coolest and deadliest starship in the galaxy
- Outfit your ship with thousands of components and crew
- Adventure with your friends with co-op multiplayer
- Essentially play an action RPG inside a universe of alien races playing a 4X game
Compared to the first game, which admittedly I haven't played, it's going to be bigger and better. Graphically speaking it's getting a bump with normal maps, better specular maps, and higher resolution textures. There's going to be faster movement and combat, randomly generated races, new things to discover while exploring, more types of treaties to deal with including: vassals, tributaries, protectorates, and federations plus plenty more ship component types (ramming components sound fun!).
The full release of Drox Operative 2 is planned for the first part of 2021 with it going into Steam in Early Access on May 27.