Last updated: 6th January, 2024.
Return to the homepage
You can contact us any time using this email: [email protected]. This goes direct to the owner, Liam Dawe. Please do get in touch if you're concerned with anything, or if you feel we need to update this page.
We also suggest you read our Ethics policy, which also contains information on our affiliate programs.
Your privacy is extremely important to us, so please read this and be aware of it.
What data we store and where
- We are hosted by LiquidWeb in the USA. Specifically, we use the Lansing, MI Data Center. All user data is located there.
- We also use DigitalOcean Spaces for our article media storage (https://uploads.golmedia.net). So you may see some media loading from there, that is also GamingOnLinux and first-party. This is essential for our operation.
- Comments and forum posts may also include external media from users from various media hosts (like imgur for example), we have a privacy box that you must accept to view this media as we do not control where it comes from.
What we store and how we use it
- For the purpose of optional user registration, we store:
- Your username.
- Your email address. Your email address is never publicly visible.
- Your IP address. Your IP address is never publicly visible.
- Further data may be collected if you choose to share it, such as if you fill out fields on your profile.
- We may at times store your IP address in our ban list, in case of spam or abuse. This is removed after 30 days.
- Anyone is free to permanently remove their user account at any time via the User Control Panel where you can set it to be removed.
Our website server automatically collects and stores information in its server log files that your browser transmits to us. These are:
- Browser type / version
- Operating System
- Referrer URL
- Your IP address
- The time of the request
These log files are regularly deleted every month, this is also to prevent and deal with abuse and is essential to keep the website working.
The use of Cloudflare is based on our legitimate interest in providing our website as error-free and securely as possible.
Some advertisers may use technology such as cookies and web beacons when they advertise on our site, which will also send these advertisers (such as Google through the Google AdSense program) information including your IP address, your ISP , the browser you used to visit our site. These cookies are generally used for geo-targeting purposes (like showing Wisconsin real estate ads to someone in Wisconsin, for example) or showing certain ads based on specific sites visited (such as showing cooking ads to someone who frequents cooking sites).
You can opt out of personalised advertising from Google by visiting Ads Settings and aboutads.info.
You can choose to disable or selectively turn off our cookies or third-party cookies in your browser settings.
Our daily article mailing list is strictly opt-in. We store your email address and the date you requested to be added to it. If you do not activate your subscription, we remove you from the database after 7 days. The daily email includes a very simple unsubscribe link.
Acceptance of this policy
For additional privacy, we always recommend seeking out extra privacy plugins for your browser! Look out for Privacy Badger from the Electronic Frontier Foundation and uBlock Origin. They can help block tracking and malicious website scripts.
We also recommend DuckDuckGo for your search engine (instead of Google), as they don't track you. They also have handy "bangs" to search website directly, like ours! Simply enter "!gol" followed by your search term to search our site from DDG.