Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Euro Truck Simulator 2 performance
rick01457 Mar 1, 2015
Hi everyone
I've been watching my game performance on ETS2 recently and it's pretty poor, although I'm sure I should be getting decent fps I'm capping out at about 30 in the countryside and as low as 10 in the towns. This is with the settings set to good, with settings at ultra it's unplayable in towns.

My pertinent specs:
AMDfx8300 @ 4.2ghz
TeamGroup Elite Black 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz
GTX660 - latest drivers 346.47 (upgraded yesterday with no improvement)
SSD gaming drive/SSD root drive
Arch - 3.18.6-1 64bit.

Is it pretty common to get shitty performance for ETS2?
silverphil Mar 1, 2015
hi rick01457,

No, it's not common at all to have bad performance on ETS2, considering my specs...
I get about 25-35 in the countryside and 20-30 in towns - everything is ultra except mirror quality and mirror distance. Are there any other games which have such issues??

My specs:
Intel Core-i5 3210m @ 2.5Ghz (dual-core)
8GB ram
GT 650M - 331.113 drivers
Ubuntu 14.04.2LTS, 3.13 64-bit
1366x768
rick01457 Mar 1, 2015
I've not noticed other games with issues, although ETS2 is probably the most taxing game I've played since recently upgrading my system. I completed Witcher 2 just before the upgrade and was getting better fps on that with my old system (upgraded cpu and ram from amd4100, 8gb valuram). I'm also running 2 monitors now which I wasn't before, and usually run ETS2 on my 1920x1080 screen.
I've checked top and can't see any runaway processes.
Xpander Mar 1, 2015
i have pretty similar system, FX 8320@4,3ghz, 16GB 1866mhz, GTX 660Ti
and i get 40+ country side, 30+ cities, everything maxed, 200% from advanced options.
1920x1080. drivers 346.35, kernel 3.18.7-2-ck.

i do use __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 though
Spl-it Mar 2, 2015
i7-3820 @3.6GHz, 16 GB, GTX680(346.47). Ultra settings @ 1920x1080 (vsync disabled).

The game goes anywhere between 40 and 60 fps no matter where I am.

One note about the __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1, using that destroys my fps, I hardly got the game above 18 fps with that enabled.
M@GOid Mar 2, 2015
This is interesting. I use a FX8350 (@ 4.4 GHz) with a R9 290 card with the opensource drivers and always thought the game would perform better with a Nvidia card and their proprietary driver.

I got 20/30 fps in the city and 50/60 in the country roads. Everything maxed, minus v-sync (off), mirrors (low), weather (low) and the anti-aliasing (off, it just blurs the image), but with the scale in 400 %.

- For some reason, the weather in max is really heavy, but don't show any improvements in the visuals;

- The game don't benefit of multiple cores in your CPU. If you check it only really use 2 cores, but the second is not heavily taxed. But the guy with a Core i7 (much better single core performance than AMD CPU) don't get much more FPS than us with a FX8xxx;

- In Windows, using the same configuration above, I got 40/50 in the city and 80/90 on the road, using DirectX. OpenGL is worst than in Linux (but this is a known problem of OpenGL AMD drivers in Windows). Since Nvidia users always say that in Windows is better to use OpenGL, that tells me that the game is not well adapted for Linux.
rick01457 Mar 5, 2015
So, I've been playing with this quite a bit to try and get better frames but to no avail. Tried the threaded optimizations and it didn't do anything. I have changed each setting in the graphics separately and it had no real affect (Turning AA off made the game a little prettier though), aside from turning color correction off which tanked my fps even further.

It seems to be something to do with lighting effects as I've noticed an fps drop when I approach a toll road at night, but disabling all lighting and shadow settings doesn't make any difference.

The game is still playable (I have low standards anyway) so I'm giving up at this point. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Xpander Mar 6, 2015
New card now

system: FX 8320@4,3ghz, 16GB 1866mhz, GTX 970
and i get 60+ country side, 45+ cities, everything maxed, 400% from advanced options.
1920x1080. drivers 346.47, kernel 3.18.7-2-ck.

with __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1

without threaded i get about 10 fps less
rick01457 Mar 6, 2015
Nice, I wouldn't have expected that a 970 was that much of an upgrade from a 680. The __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 really does nothing for me. There must be something up because even reducing the settings drastically doesn't really improve the performance much. But it really is just this game that I have issues with.

Honestly, I'm not too bothered at the minute because Cities Skylines will be out in a few days and I probably won't touch any other games for a while. Until Project Eternity comes out at the end of March anyhow.

By the way, what DE do you use Xpander?
Xpander Mar 6, 2015
Quoting: rick01457.

By the way, what DE do you use Xpander?

MATE desktop, xfwm4 + compton

i dont know whats wrong with your system then..it should defo run a lot better than you described
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.