Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Implement d3d9 on top of vulkan ?
kalin Mar 7, 2015
I think is good idea to be start this kind of project. It will make easier to port games/apps from windows to linux,mac and any other os that support vulkan.
I hope someone will contact with valve, wine and sdl guys and share this idea. I also hope that the community will hug this idea and start the project itself.
For regret im not very experienced in 3d programing and can't start this project as stand alone.
pros:
1 open source
2 user space
3 os independent
4 vendor independent
5 widly available
6 give access to d3d9 renderer to our favorite os
cons:
1 require d3d10/opengl 3.3 hardware

fill free to share your opinion.
crt0mega Mar 13, 2015
interesting idea.. but we have gallium-nine (d3d state tracker for gallium3d) and it's already a pleasure to use :P

crysis 2 with gallium-nine on an old hd6850:
https://picup.it/p/11802/
kalin Mar 13, 2015
But it works only for amd only for open source driver. I like and and i like open source but it's not solution for everyone.
crt0mega Mar 14, 2015
it should work for nouveau too. but you're right, it might be nice to see decent d3d9/d3d10 via vulkan on proprietary drivers. it might help other game devs to port their games to linux without the need to deal with wrappers, opengl or vulkan.
[email protected] Jun 19, 2016
Sorry to resurrect an old post but I'm working on it. It's on github called Schaefergl
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.