Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Finally was able to get an i7-6700k!
slaapliedje Oct 3, 2015
Been waiting for some time to get my computer upgraded, but I couldn't find a place that had the i7-6700k in stock for a normal price.

So, today I received the Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero, 32gb of DDR4 memory and the i7-6700k.

After putting it into my system I figured I'd benchmark Windows 10 a bit (scored pretty damned high on 3dmark) and then of course went back into Linux to try out some games that weren't performing all that great.

And holy crap! I run Debian Testing right now, everything was detected perfectly (even fixed a weird issue I was having with my Roccat Tyon mouse, I could not boot Linux (Arch or Debian) with it plugged in, it would cause a kernel / CPU bug and reboot). It is FAST. Crazy fast. I went from 32gb of memory and an AMD 8120 FX, which wasn't exactly a slouch, but gnome-shell just seems so much snappier.

Along with my 980GTX, this should be a killer machine now. Anyone know of some games I could benchmark? I believe Shadows of Mordor has a benchmark built into it, not sure which other ones do.

I do find it ironic that the motherboard has 'Supports Windows 10' all over it, but I had to actually use the CD it came with to install the NIC and other drivers, I haven't had to do that in YEARS! Maybe now that they are installed I'll feel the same speed improvements within Windows 10 (I didn't go back after it told me to reboot, because, meh, it's Windows.)

slaapliedje
Slackdog Oct 3, 2015
Nice rig! And on an off topic note your profile pic - Bruce Lee? Looks like Atari 8-bit version....
slaapliedje Oct 4, 2015
Ha, you're the first one to ever properly identify what game that is from, and even the correct version!
Slackdog Oct 27, 2015
Still got my 800XL ;)
tuubi Oct 28, 2015
Quoting: slaapliedjeHa, you're the first one to ever properly identify what game that is from, and even the correct version!
I always assumed it was from the Commodore 64 version, and that pretty much anyone old enough would know what game the avatar is from. Definitely a classic.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.