Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
What amd gpu you suggest me to buy for gaming ?
kalin Oct 3, 2015
My old 560 ti experience some issues with heat output and i want to buy temporary gpu until next generation gpus.
I want to buy amd because they are open source friendly and they are to blame for vulkan.
I know some games have issues with amd drivers and for that i want to ask which one to buy and which drivers to use?
Any suggestions ?
silverphil Oct 3, 2015
Depends on what games you play...

my friend has a hd 7870 (equivalent to R9 270X) plays War Thunder and Valve games smoothly and is happy with Catalyst 15.3 from Ubuntu repositories, though catalyst 15.9 would be better.

If you play a lot of Wine games or COH2, i suggest you try Radeonsi, since it gives much better performance through Gallium Nine, but according to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF2VXEoTKBc it is a bit of trial and error, so Catalyst IMHO is more reliable.
Mountain Man Oct 3, 2015
I would not recommend an AMD graphics card at this point since a lot of games on Linux don't support AMD, or the performance is not up to par. Stick with Nvidia until AMD gets their act together.
Julius Oct 3, 2015
If you want to support AMD buy an APU based (mobile) system for secondary light gaming or as a steam streaming client. As it stands right now, no point in getting a dedicated GPU from them for Linux gaming.
Samsai Oct 3, 2015
Well, I've been quite happy with this 370 and the open source drivers. It's definitely not a performance beast (except in Wine) but overall I'm am not too disappointed.
kalin Oct 3, 2015
which games you are playing ?
My main focus is dota 2 maybe borderlands and magicka 2 when it make linux debute.
Samsai Oct 3, 2015
Mainly Verdun, some CSGO with Liam, Mount & Blade: Warband, I've tried SOMA (runs fine) and plenty of Freespace 2. Your biggest problems with a card like this are going to be those big games and Borderlands 2 for example might not run as well as you'd hope. The Pre-Sequel runs amazingly well though. As for Dota 2, you'll get excellent framerates out of it even on the open source drivers, the Rebirth update made it quite fantastic.
kalin Oct 3, 2015
Thanks.
What framerate can expect on dota with max settings in open source driver as last question :)
Samsai Oct 3, 2015
70 to 120 FPS at 1080p with everything pretty much maxed out if I recall correctly. It was constantly at or over 60 FPS.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.